Would Doctor Who's Tardis (Time Machine) Cure Mankind of Christianity and other Religions?

by OnTheWayOut 24 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Wouldn't matter OTWO, as evidenced by some of the comments above.

These people who today swear that 'god created heaven and earth', if transported back into time and observed that god had nothing to do with any of it, would simple create 'talking points' that allowed evolution and non-god in our past evolutionary history, while still claiming god did it to 'show he could' or whatever invented defense they would have after the experience.

Religion is morphing now. Scientific evidence that disproved the Garden, Adam, creative days, the flood, etc, are all just changed to allegorical or excused away in some other fashion. If they went back and observed that Moses did not encounter a burning bush, or that Ararat was just a smoking volcano, or that the Red Sea never actually parted, or saw that Jesus' miracles never happened, it still would not matter to them.

They want to believe in god due to fear of eternal death. They just don't know that is the reason. Man has always had gods for this very reason. Because they don't believe that they should die, that they are mortal like the animals. Surely god is up there preparing a heavenly home for them. They are special, guided by angels, protected by jesus, and soon going home to a place they have never been.

Fantasy is getting harder to defend though. Religion will decline in the face of massive evidence that shows the Bible and other holy writ as a collection of myth and fairy-tales. But it will not go away. Too bad.

Jeff

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Oh, I think religion as we define it will go the way of the Dodo bird, because all things do when they've worn out their welcome.

But, I think that people will always still look for transcendent experiences. Hell, we had Stone Age people smoking the shrubbery to commune with the great beyond a long time before Yahweh, Buddha or Christ....or the Egyptians and the Mayans.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

No, I think all the Atehists would just fight each other and the otters.

When I was little that show FREAKED me out. Still can't whatch it.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

LOL Dark Uncle

• tec
    tec

I am not talking about Israelite standards. I am talking about the supposedly all-knowing, omnibenevolent GOD! People had/have horrible standards, Israelite or Canaanite or whoever. But worshipping the one above that means that He should be indeed above that.

Sorry, OTWO - and you're right. He should indeed be above that. I think He was; I just don't think the Israelites were capable of understanding what He expected of them. Perhaps they were just better equipped to listen than any of the other nations surrounding them. As we grow, so does our ability to understand.

I don't believe in selective acceptance of the Bible. I could go as far as the creation story being allegory, but beyond that if God doesn't tell us what's true and what's not true, then we have men to mislead us into believing what God meant. It is supposed to be God's book. It says he sanctioned such stuff. Either it is truth or it is lies, either God didn't mind taking the blame or God lies.

God told us what was true through Jesus. We should be capable of reasoning everything else that follows based on the teachings and example that Christ gave us.

I understand that this doesn't mean anything if someone doesn't believe in God at all. These are just my thoughts.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit