Would you fight/die for my right to right to free speech?

by Cagefighter 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I would defend that right in other ways more positive.

Aside: That's when I knew I had belonged to a cult. The only way you can "prove" how right you are is to die or let somebody else die.

Sometimes the best way to support the most important thing is to LIVE and discover a creative approach.

Remember Patton's speech? You know, the part about letting "...the other poor dumb bastard die for his...whatever.."

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    even if that speech offended or disgusted you?

I would defend your right, even if I did not agree with your message.

BTS

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    Hate speech in Canada is Banned.....Thats why our Beer tastes so Good!..
    No Hate Speech.....Better Beer..
  • undercover
    undercover

reminds me of some old footage of Johnny Cash in concert.

He was talking to the audience and he said that he was glad to live in a country that allowed freedom of speech and expression...even if that meant burning the US flag in protest...at which some in the audience started booing. He hushed em up and said (paraphrased) "we also have the right to bear arms...and if you try to burn MY flag, I'll shoot you"

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

"I (may) disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the [great personal inconvenience] your right to say it."

That Johnny Cash story is awesome. I appreciate someone who demonstrably and fully believes in both the first and second Ammendments!

I believe that government censorship of "hate speech" is potentially very dangerous. Much like the body of existing law itself, the definitions behind what types of expression can be justifiably limited by government coercion will likely tend to grow over time until one day we look at it and realize we're all criminals.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Oh, man, there's so little that really offends me anymore...but hey, why not?

I like to shoot my mouth off so I have to let others do the same or I'm a big ol hypocrite.

• Little Bit
    Little Bit

My husband does for everyone.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Who decides what isn't and is ok and appropiate? As another thread pointed out at one point in history slavery and killing homosexuals was very acceptable. So if they banned hate speech back then who would be able to speak up for the oppressed?

So here's the thing, if you were speaking out for the oppressed in your scenario, it wouldn't be considered hate speech.

"The right to swing my fist ends at the other guy's nose". Oliver Wendell Holmes.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I would do my very best even if you were annoying the hell out of me, and after I fought and won for you I would probably pick a fight with you for being aggravating. And then we go drink beer and all would be as it should.

• dgp
    dgp

I would very much suspect you of manipulating me. If you want to speak freely, you should be the first person to take the heat. Now, if I were convinced that you would tough it out by my side, then I would fight and probably die for everybody's right to free speech, which, of course, includes the right of people to say things we really, really hate.

I have seen too much manipulation to just follow the leader. Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit