Would you fight/die for my right to right to free speech?

by Cagefighter 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

even if that speech offended or disgusted you?

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Fight for it, yes. Die, no. Since I am a dues paying member of the ACLU, I already do fight for your right to free speech. Why do you ask?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Yes. A couple of quotes are appropriate:

One of our supreme court justices said "speech that doesn't offend any one does need constitutional protection."

An author recently said that any writing that doesn't stir up thoughts and/or emotions isn't worth reading.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

What about movements in Canada and Europe that ban "hate speech"? Who decides what isn't and is ok and appropiate? As another thread pointed out at one point in history slavery and killing homosexuals was very acceptable. So if they banned hate speech back then who would be able to speak up for the oppressed?

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"What about movements in Canada and Europe that ban "hate speech"?"

Not my concern. People in Canada and Europe need to fight for their own right to free speech. Cagefighter I am having a hard time understanding what your issue is. Are you oppressed because you are not able to express hate speech somewhere?

So if they banned hate speech back then who would be able to speak up for the oppressed?

What does this mean?

jada

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No..

................. ...OUTLAW

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Why do I have to have an issue... Just killing some time on JWN getting some thoughts. There are many in the USA and on the board that would like to ban "hate speech"...

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

It's interesting though Serenity that you can't just debate the topic but you have to find a way to draw me personally into it. This is what scares me about america now. People are getting away from making rational arguments with out launching ad hominem attacks. If you disagree with me=something is wrong with you as a person is the new philosophy on both sides of most issues these days. This is not going towards a good place, I can tell you that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    There are many in the USA and on the board that would like to ban "hate speech".....Cage fighter

Hate speech in Canada is Banned.....Thats why our Beer tastes so Good!..

No Hate Speech.....Better Beer..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Actually cagefighter, I did not attack you. I am trying to understand you. I was also not aware that there was a debate going on.

"As another thread pointed out at one point in history slavery and killing homosexuals was very acceptable."

I have no idea why the above sentence is there. What does history of slavery and killing homosexuals have to do with free speech?

"So if they banned hate speech back then who would be able to speak up for the oppressed?"

I suppose this sentence is related to the slavery sentence. That sentence however does not say anything about banning hate speech.

I already expressed my feelings on free speech. Of course, I speak from the American perspective. I have no knowledge about the freedom of speech or lack thereof in other countries. Perhaps you should collect your thoughts, and then clearly state your argument.

jada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit