Still believe it's the truth?

by IronHill 13 Replies latest jw friends

• IronHill
    IronHill

I was speaking to a friend who has also disassociated themselves as a Jehovah's Witness. The curious thing to me is that this person, although having some doubts, still has the feeling that the witnesses have the truth. They get extremely uncomfortable when the subject of religion comes up, and have a hard time coinciding what they are doing now, and their thoughts on the JW religion.

It feels like the times I have talked about the witnesses (feeling we share the same sentiments), that wall that most witnesses put up, goes up for them as well.

I dont understand...why would they still feel this way? Anyone else still feel this way?

• teel
    teel

Mind control, they haven't got rid of the WTs control yet. It's that simple imo. Get them to read Hassan's books, or something similar, it can help.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yeah definitely mind control. Cults implement strong conditioning techniques. I have a relative who has been disfellowshipped for over 25 years and still "witnesses" to his girlfriends. It is unbelieveable. He quotes/references teachings from decades ago. That's why you hear stories of disfellowshipped people getting reinstated after 20, 30+ years. The watchtower had their mind all along.

The best way to leave is to think your way out of the religion. Then the ball is in your court.

Cult Classic

• cult classic
    cult classic

meant to post this up top -

On the other hand my husband's brother left at 18 and is 52 now. He has always known it to be a crock and never looked back.

Cult Classic

• yknot
    yknot

....ditto the above....

But why not help them out.....

Pass on JWN's addy, we all benefit from support!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"The Walking Dead", I call them. (I don't mean any disrespect with this term. This is simply how it seems, from my perspective.)

One of the consequences of this cult is people walking around, living with the guilt of feeling unworthy and afraid of death at Armageddon.

Upon reading 'Crisis of Conscience' and 'Combatting Cult Mind Control', I then KNEW that Armageddon was a myth, a Boogey Man unique to the WT. Most high-control groups have a Boogey Man, comparable to Armageddon. Just like every freaking person and animal that has ever lived and died, so will I. I'm not special.

Release the bonds!

• Heaven
    Heaven

They need help de-programming. Yknot, that's a great suggestion! Also, some exit counseling may be in order.

• Terry
    Terry

Here is what the Jehovah's Witnesses do right that "hooks" a person intellectually:

The Watchtower religion exposes a portion of the lies, hypocricy, hidden history and fasle information that religion (especially Christianity) has been peddling over the centuries.

That is step one.

The result of the partial expose is it stuns the first time hearer. It helps them gain confidence that the JW's are a COMPLETE source of

truth.

That is where the "good" ends.

The bad part we all know:

The Watchtower religion HIDES the REST of the story. It creates a viral chain of propaganda about itself which subverts the listener's sense of skepticism and curiousity.

It limits severely outside research. It installs fear of "others". It gives one a very active sense of purpose (which, in reality, is nothing more than the distribution of publications.)

The OLD world view (pre-studying with JW's) is wiped out and replaced with the NEW WORLD view.

Once the rest of the world has been marginalized into liars for you---you actually cannot TRUST anybody (especially yourself) to give you straight information!

It took me almost 30 years to figure the real problem out. I've been repeating it often here. The basis for all misleading thought, belief and mind control in this organization is DEPENDANCE ON THE SCRIPTURES as an "inspired" direction from the Supreme Being.

It is NOT!

There is no uncorrupted scripture!

The Originals were either lost or purposely destroyed by the church early on. What was substituted were controlled stories passed off as the eye-witness accounts of people who knew and heard Jesus.

It is a lie.

Without a Bible that authentically duplicates the original, uncorrupt autograph writings you have NOTHING but human interpretation passed off

as Truth.

Until and unless you research this for yourself you can't break free.

It is the single most important step in becoming a thinking and rational person again!

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Along with the Cult Control techniques, I really believe more and more that another strong reason people think its the "TRUTH" is because of the family and friends relationships.

They convince themselves of it since they are so afraid to lose those things.

I dont see how after stepping back and (hopefully) taking an objective look at things you could still believe JW's have the truth.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Along with the Cult Control techniques, I really believe more and more that another strong reason people think its the "TRUTH" is because of the family and friends relationships.

They convince themselves of it since they are so afraid to lose those things.

I dont see how after stepping back and (hopefully) taking an objective look at things you could still believe JW's have the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit