Does anybody in London know anything about this???

by brizzzy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I'm a Californian, but a good friend in London just texted me saying there's a blitz of about 50 Jehovah's Witnesses in Croydon right outside of where she's eating loaded up with Watchtowers and setting up a stall and a speaker with a megaphone. She also says that some of them are women in wheelchairs and that they're rolling in front of passers by and blocking them when they try to ignore them. She says all of the pedestrians are telling them to fuck off and leave them alone because they're not interested in a cult, haha.

Is this something new that the Society is encouraging over there (or even more scary, everywhere?) Are they returning to the Russell/Rutherford tactics of blaring their message at innocent bystanders over loudspeakers? I thought perhaps she was mistaken and they were some other random fringe cult, but she's insisting that they're handing out Watchtowers. She says she's going to get photos and video for me, so I'll post them later.

I'm just weirded out because this is something I've NEVER seen done by any of the congregations here in California.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Was looking around to see if anybody had posted similar stories and found this from two months ago:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/humour/188576/1/Jehovahe28099s-Witnesses-Go-to-New-Extremes

Ha! And you thought it was satire...

• Gordy
    Gordy

Interesting to see if its true.

When I was a JW they had a hard enough job trying to get us to do "street witnessing".
    Just talking to people as we walked along.
    If it wasn't someone at a door many JWs very nervous about doing it any other way.

Settng up a stall etc, I don't seeing it happening round here.

If they did maybe some ex-JWs can set up a stall opposite.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I was accosted a couple of years ago near the British Museum by a bunch of well dressed loonies with an Apocalyptic doomsday message but they weren't Dubbies.

• highdose
    highdose

If this is happening it won't be giving the "fine wittness" that they are hoping for. It will just renforce everyones view that they are a mad werid cult. I bet they are doing this because someones told them "the end is nigh! save as many as you can!"

Who was the poet who said about seeing ourselves as others see us??

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Right, I mean, if it's true it'll just backfire on them of course. I can't see it happening, but the Society seems to get weirder and more counterintuitive every day, so who knows? I'll wait on the photos/video and let you guys know...

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

(and I think the poet is Robert Burns)

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

OK, got more from my friend directly:

We couldn’t take pictures as it would have looked so obvious as everyone was giving them a wide berth. For a very busy street where they was deserted like they had the plague. They had two ladies in motorised wheelchairs blocking the main thoroughfare handing out Watchtowers and there was about twenty spread up this long High Street handing out Watchtowers – people were quite “blunt” in there refusals and cult was mentioned a few times.

We had passed them earlier as we walked past the train station – looked like they had come on a mission and were really ramping up their canvassing! I think they must have come from a nearby village etc and hit Croydon as it’s big and has a dense population predominately African/ Asian immigrants .......

They had a fold up table and a huge pile of Watchtowers and loads of those little books and were just buzzing round – I think they all felt uncomfortable as trust me it’s hot very hot today and they had coats on and the sun was blazing everyone else was in flip flops , sandals , summer clothes and shopping.

100% positive [that they were Jehovah's Witnesses and not some other religious group] - up the other end of the street which is long they had some random guy just quoting the bible - these were JW's and all the books everything was Watchtower honey ......Alice was getting uncomfortable as they were swarming round us and everyone else had moved away - no one went near them - as soon as people sat in the sun on benches with a drink they punched its a traffic free street just lined with shops and cafe's I should imagine perfect hunting ground.

It freaked us out – Croydon is a big town 10 mins by train (high speed) from London and lots of head office so big population and we passed them as they came out of the station and they were laden down with watchtowers and then they stood outside the most popular bit which leads to a mall and by Mc D’s and started – the sun was blazing and there are loads of benches and they just hit everyone who sat down – plus the clothes OMG frumps ville

I sooooo wish she'd gotten video! It just seems so bizarre, not like regular quiet street witnessing.

• moshe
    moshe

I would love to set up an boom box radio next to them- play that old talk Bro Sinutko talk from 1969, that said, "stay alive until 1975", right into their faces- just an endless 60 second loop of that part- --"stay alive until 1975", over and over and over-Well, they wouldn't last through 15 minutes of that torture!

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

False-flag operations! (I'm obsessed with the concept).

Or, if it's not, it totally should be--some of the hard-core apostates on here with no family/freinds in and nothing to lose should gather up some mags and start yelling at people in the street about some of the more, shall we say, eccentric (but genuine) JW doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit