They sold their souls for rock and roll.

by A.Fenderson 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• knock knock
    knock knock

Eagles were just so-so on my list but could never stand "The Long Run". Do like "Victim of Love" however.

Never really cared for Thin Lizzy 'ceptin' for "The Cowboy Song".

Have always loved the Stones. Never liked "Satisfaction". Quite the boring song that one.

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

Hey AF, you remember Johnny Mac? When me and him worked at Wal-Mart at night 20 odd years ago he would let me listen to his old vinyl when we got off work. He'd make espresso and we would chill out on his back porch. Although my taste normally run to heavier sounds in rock, some of the stuff he had was pretty good. I never liked America very much but still get a smile when I hear Ventura Highway.

I do. He seemed potentially cool, one of the more relaxed and possibly even intelligent MS (wasn't he?), but I never got to know him.

I like Amercia well enough to own the greatest hits CD and sing along with it--good times.

• undercover
    undercover

My favorite Eagles song from Hotel California was The Last Resort.

2nd half of the song's lyrics:

Some rich men came and raped the land,
    Nobody caught 'em
    Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus,
    people bought 'em
    And they called it paradise
    The place to be
    They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea

You can leave it all behind
    and sail to Lahaina
    just like the missionaries did, so many years ago
    They even brought a neon sign: "Jesus is coming"
    Brought the white man's burden down
    Brought the white man's reign

Who will provide the grand design?
    What is yours and what is mine?
    'Cause there is no more new frontier
    We have got to make it here

We satisfy our endless needs and
    justify our bloody deeds,
    in the name of destiny and the name of God

And you can see them there,
    On Sunday morning
    They stand up and sing about
    what it's like up there
    They call it paradise
    I don't know why
    You call someplace paradise,
    kiss it goodbye

• rocketman
    rocketman

First of all, my biggest problem with The Eagles is the length of their songs - did they ever do a song that lasted less than 5:00? Every one of them seems to go on and on. Hotel California is a solid effort, but it's saved by the great guitar work at the end; if not for that, it would just be another overly long Eagles song. And don't even get me started on Lying Eyes.

As for Mr. Wonder, I think he had a lot of really good songs: Superstition, I Wish, Do I Do, That Girl, Living For The City, You Haven't Done Nothin' being among my favorites. On the other hand, I hate Sir Duke.

Now, some bands that had sublimely great songs but who I otherwise didn't like and wondered how they ever became as popular as they did:

Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son is a great song, but otherwise I tired quickly of their sound, especially that freaking violin.

Boston - Foreplay/Longtime is a classic, just a terrific song. But otherwise, this group sounded the same all the time.

Foreigner - Double Vision is a great song, but otherwise I couldn't stomach this band, save for one or two nice ballads they had.

Pink Floyd - My obejction entails just one album, the famous Dark Side Of The Moon. Money is a awesome song, but otherwise I personally think this album is terribly overrated. I'll probably get flamed for such blasphemy.

• Styler1fan
    Styler1fan

Meatloaf. His songs would be good if they didn't go on and on and on and....well, you get the picture :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit