Did leaving the WT build greater appreciation for or kill your reading of the Bible?

by lepermessiah 64 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

"Killed it stone dead. The bible IMO is myths, legends and fables."

Ditto.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

The WT turned me into an atheist.

• tec
    tec

Greater appreciation.

Doing a bible study with a JW helped me to read and understand scriptures... BUT... I always used the NIV translation. We compared, so I knew exactly where and what the differences were between the NIV and the JW version. Once I decided not to be baptized after all, I stopped reading for a little while, just to clear my head so that I could read the bible with open eyes and heart.

Blacksheep - You mentioned something about Jesus acting like a bad*ss and showing off his power to his mates, regarding the fig tree on another thread I started, and I apologize for not responding then.

Jesus condemned the pharisees and teachers of the law for their hypocrisy and hard hearts. They cared nothing for the people given into their care - those people who were poor in spirit and in material means as well. They certainly did not *feed* the spiritual hunger of the people, and they produced no *fruit* for the kingdom of heaven. (fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23)

So... Jesus gets up, goes to a fig tree that is not producing fruit when he is hungry, and finds nothing to nourish him. Just as the people go to the teachers and pharisees when they are spiritually hungry, and find nothing to feed or comfort them. The fruitless tree (spiritual leaders of the jews) is cursed. It will never bear fruit again, because it does not feed those who are hungry now. They (pharisees and teachers of the law) have lost the right to the Kingdom of God.

I think the story actually happened (some believe it figurative, but it is the message that is important). But I think the event itself was a physical parable for Jesus' disciples. It showed Jesus' authority over the Kingdom of God. It also showed that those who do not spiritually comfort and feed the people given unto their care will be cut off from that Kingdom.

Please also note that the tree (growing on the side of the road) belonged to no one except God, and therefore, Jesus.

I wonder why would you dismiss every good thing Jesus did, in favor of what you think this one story says about Jesus character? Jesus fed five thousand, healed lepers and sickness, preached mercy and forgiveness, and stood up to the hypocrisy of the pharisees and teachers of the law. This is the true character of the man. Your assumption about the fig tree is being rendered completely out of context, in accordance to everything else that has been written about Jesus.

Tammy

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tammy, that is simply superb!

Thank you so much.

Sylvia

• tec
    tec

Sylvia -

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I left the tower back in 83 after being in for 31 years from birth, I decided

to read the bible cover to cover and see what it said to me. I ended up reading

it 5 times different translations never the nwt.

I made notes, and put them in catergories.

The theme I found in the bible that appeared most often

was predestination. God wrote a book made a story and its all

unfolding and we are characters in it.

Our part has been written and we have to play it and we cant change it.

Nowadays I will read my bible for a couple hours a week and I also read

daily inspirational verses.

I have read a lot of atheistic literature, I read a lot. I know many think the bible

is a lot of myths. There has deffinitely been a shadow of doubt cast on the book.

Still I find encouragement in the book to make my way through life.

I find wisdom and truth where ever it appears and try to benefit by it.

For example the non biblical fairy tale of the 3 little pigs has wisdom, Build your house

out of brick not straw.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

One thing I found from all my bible reading along with all my non biblical reading is

much of the old testament came from myths form Summeria. Summeria was the first

civilization known to man also refered to as the begining of civilization.

The story derived from the Sumerian text is that we are the children of astronauts

from Planet Niberu.

I always wondered where we came from. Zechariah Sitchin has written a number of books

on this subject, Michael Tillinger presents Sitchins work in "Slave Species of God"

I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in what the most anicient text

that inpired the old testatment have to say.

• looloo
    looloo

i read the bible for quite a while with a knew set of eyes , but dont now .

• The Finger
    The Finger

I dedicated my life to God. I left the JW's as I wasn't dedicated to them. I have found I am more interested in the bible since leaving the organization and on the occasions when I feel like going to the hall which get rarer, I usually find it is a good time and place to read the bible. I would say I have a greater appreciation for the bible now i see God in a much more loving light.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I read the Bible before becoming a JW, during my life as a JW, and after my life as a JW.

My eyes are more open to analyse the Scriptures as they truly are, instead of through the eyes of the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit