Ex -JWs ASL Congragations

by Scott77 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thank you Scott.

While hearing aids may put off my joining the ranks of the deaf community here it is good to have connected with them and if the hearing gets worse as the years go on I know I will not have to live in isolation.

I bet they don't see too many people like me - ex-interpreters who now are going deaf.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Lady Lee,

Its so funny, amusing and ironical in that somone who used to be an interpreter for the deaf, will now become a Deaf person and be in their shoe, talk of a reverse kind of thingy. I think you are gonna be so special, having lived both world. But... in a fortunate way, you will be much far in a better position to relate to both worlds, the deaf world, and hearing world with little or no dificulities. These days, there is a new kind of phone model that allows you to speak your voice to the caller and be able to read your incoming calls in typed format because you cannot hear them audibly. I think that might work out for you.

Scott77

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wow that sounds cool. I used to have one of the small portable TTYs after I left the JWs and worked for the Association of the Deaf in Montreal (yet another thing I did in the larger deaf community) I am so out of touch with the new technology that must have developed over the years. Back in 1987 I also did some field work as part of one of my courses in college where I worked at the school for the deaf as a social counselor. I think I used the TTY there also before it finally died on me.

Now we have the internet. I suspect that might be used a lot.

But I will check out the newer technology. I may not need it myself but if I become involved again with the deaf community I may need it.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Now we have the internet. I suspect that might be used a lot. But I will check out the newer technology. I may not need it myself but if I become involved again with the deaf community I may need it.

Lady Lee

The internet now is leading the way in cheaper communication for the deaf. Look about text messaging and Aim chats. One can even make phone calls through aim chat. Google chat allow users to incorporate their Aim messaging contacts within. This allows calling a hearing person much easier than before. Most recently, a Video Phone (VP) has attracted a siginificant number of consumers who use sign language in the USA. I look of JWs are in this field doing VRS interpretating due to their ASL skill. Out of concern not wanting to 'speak' them, I had to block them several times and transfer to non JW signers. I know Canada is still behind this. I think you are heard of hearing (HH), some like you are opting for a Cochlear Implant (IC) but that device has generated intense contraversy and oppostion from Deaf ASL users because it threatens their culture and way of life. That is it.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit