Ex -JWs ASL Congragations

by Scott77 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scott77
    Scott77

JWoods,

The Watchtower appear to be techie phobia or at least suffer from it. Look at Facebook and TV Media. Mormons are creative and so is with other mainstream media. Even the Vatican recently issued a statement extolling the virtue of muilt media technology to reach its flocks. It has gone on even to set up a YouTube vedeo.

Scott77

• JWoods
    JWoods

The Watchtower appear to be techie phobia or at least suffer from it.

Maybe they appear to be scared of the rank and file wandering over to places like this one?

Yup - just like they have refused to use any modern media for the preaching work instead of door to door for decades.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If you've been to a modern ASL congregation you will see a significant lack of technologiphobia. They are decked out with huge projectors and/or monitors and the video board is like something from a small television station.

The reason they don't just open caption the talks is that English is not the language of the Deaf. Reading it is little better (for many Deaf) than trying to hear it with amplified headphones. Even if they could hear it, they wouldn't understand what they heard; and even if they could see the text, many Deaf people would have trouble following the English.

This is for several reasons that are discussed in volumes and volumes of literature. Google to find out more.

Also, it is important for Deaf people to be surrounded by others using their own language. In an English congregation everyone is speaking English. Ever feel lonely in a crowd? Try being a Deaf person in an English congregation.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Mad Sweeney,

You speak as if you have been familiar with the Deaf world. That kind of knowledge is only limited to those who have worked with Deaf community like Lady Lee to give just an example. All the same,I agree with your observation. Captioning is not idea to Deaf Community except CI users. Lady Lee, a great thank you for sharing about your deminishing hearing loss. I am glad your background knowledge of ASL should be a kind of something to fall back to. I think you get the idea of what I mean by 'culture shock? '

Scott77

• IronHill
    IronHill

I have seen the foreign language fad first hand, as I was in a spanish congregation and folks from the english were constantly migrating to help out. I also know plenty of witnesses who went to D.R. to "help", staying there months at a time. It's become the witness non-missionary destination.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Truthseeker,

Wanna go back and check your spelling? Either you are wrong and I'm DEAF or you are right and I'm a zombie

Do zombies have more fun?

Maybe I wanna be a zombie.

Maybe I wanna be DEATH

• Scott77
    Scott77

White Dove,

I bet you are a perfectionist. Its good to be. Not bad Itself. Some like me, lacks a spell check button on their interface board. Its important to get the idea or the context behind the word's meaning not the word itself.

Scott77

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The tool bar for the posting box does have a spell check on it. But I have the Google toolbar installed and prefer to use that one.

I don't think it will be too much of a culture shock for me to move back into the deaf world - just with a different perspective. I think I can honestly say that I was embraced as a full member of the deaf JW community. I was invited to dinners with my family. I was always welcome in their homes. I was definitely more that just "the interpreter" as many of the other people who signed at the meetings for them were. Their deaf and hearing children were welcome in my home. I often had parties for the congregation or planned picnics and the deaf were always invited and always came. In times of family emergencies I was always called to come to help not just because I could interpret for them for lawyers and doctors but they knew they could trust me. I helped one friend whose sister was dying of cancer at home. I was always welcome and spent most days there and I was there to hold her hand with her sister as she took her dying breaths. I don't think you can be more one of them.

I'm not saying this to get a pat on the back. But I know what the deaf world is. I lived it with them. Births, death and almost everything in between.

I went yesterday to the senior deaf group that meets not far from where I live. I couldn't stay but they warmly welcomed me and said they were glad I came back even if it was just for a few minutes and I felt right at home. I think it helps that I can sign.

I will tell you one thing. They were the quietest bunch of deaf people I have ever been in a room with.

Deaf JWs are a noisy bunch. At least the group I was with was. Not during the meetings but before and after, at family gatherings, etc. there was always a lot of vocalizing (especially from those who were forced into oral schools), hand waving, foot stomping, etc. This group meeting I went to yesterday was the largest group of deaf people I have been with for a very long time and you could have heard a pin drop in there. They were all sitting at tables playing cards but wow was it ever quiet. THAT will take some getting used to.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

White Dove,

Thank you for your prompt attention to my spelling.

Ironhill,

I know a brother who spends months at a time in D.R. He's not a missionary and as far as I know he has no official sponsorship to go over there. I think he just likes the people and preaching work.

Truthseeker

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi Lady Lee,

Now I know culture shock is not going to be an issue for you. Great.The extend of your involvement in Deaf work is greaty admired. I think its impressive. TruthSeeker,Your humility and candor in accepting a mistake in spelling and reminder from White Dove is a good example to all of us. I wish the GB aknowledges their wrongs they have done on may JW families over the years.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit