Smoking Tobacco Really That Bad?

by frankiespeakin 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Of the 250 toxic chemicals found in secondhand (or "passive") smoke, at least 50 are known to cause cancer. The Surgeon General says there's no safe level of secondhand smoke and, according to the California Environmental Protection Agency, secondhand smoke causes an estimated 3,400 lung cancer deaths and 46,000 heart disease deaths among nonsmokers in the U.S. each year.

Fortunately, most states now have strict laws about smoking in restaurants, workplaces, and other public places. These rules may be frustrating to smokers, but they can be extremely helpful once smokers decide to quit. What do you think about smoking bans?

A trip to Hawaii—a gift from her father—was what Lynn Dodd, 46, of Goode, Va., needed to help her kick the habit. She was traveling with two others who didn’t smoke, and it was shortly after the state tightened its smoking laws, so it was a great time to quit as a thank-you to her dad. "I wasn’t even going to be able to smoke outside on the balcony," she explained, since smokers there are required to be 20 feet from any building. She bought a box of full-strength nicotine patches and stuck one on right before her group left for the airport. "I haven’t smoked since!" she says.

• beksbks
    beksbks

It stinks. End of story.

By the way, at a pro pot rally I went to once, there was a doctor speaker. He said hot smoke of any kind is bad, so use a bong.

• crapola
    crapola

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. I can't even imagine injesting smoke into my lungs. But to each his own. I don't pass judgement on anyone if they want to ruin their health. It's their life or death.

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

forget tobacco....smoke cannibus :-P or, as beks said, use a bong. LOL

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is why I never started smoking (no, not for Jehovah either):

(1) Smoking ruins your health. It causes cancer, heart disease, and lung problems. It makes you age faster. And, you get things like colds and flus more easily if you smoke.

(2) Smoking wastes money.

(3) If I can't stand second hand smoke, why would I expect to enjoy smoking myself?

(4) The sidestream smoke can harm others (especially children in confined areas), dirty up things, lead to expensive home cleaning bills, and is bad for your computer.

The witless ban on smoking was never an issue for me. However, the above costs are enough. Why does the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger insist on busting up families totally because the grandmother has to have the occasional cigarette? Of note, a few cigarettes a month are not nearly as bad for one's health as pio-sneering would be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit