Your Current thoughts

by zzaphod 19 Replies latest jw friends

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

If you had to sum up your current thoughts on The WTS/JW experience what word/phrase would you use?

Anger?

Confusion?

Upset?

Disapointment?

Fond Memories?

Ambivalence?

Everyone has their personal experience with The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in some way. I wonder if people are like me, still struggling to decide how to summarise their experience, after 20 odd years.

Or are you one of those (lucky?) people who seem to be able to come to a very firm and swift understanding of things, that have happened in their life?

Just a thought.

All the best

Paul UK

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

At some point before where I am today, I would have used any of the words in your list. Now, I would just sum it up as a waste of time.

• RR
    RR

Ambivalence

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

For a good while, "Bitterness" was the best word.
    Now "Ambivalence" might be a better one.

It's a tough word. People that were addicted to cocaine used to love cocaine.
    Later, they crave cocaine when they stop having it. They eventually hate cocaine yet they still have some fond memories of what cocaine meant to them. I have fond memories of what coming into the cult and believing I knew life's answers meant to me, but they coexist with a reality that I was just a tool in a huge lie- a lie that holds onto my wife and mother.

I guess there's still some bitterness in my response. "AMBITTALENCE."

• peaches
    peaches

CONFUSION

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Pity. (for those still in it's ridiculous embrace)

• goldensky
    goldensky

Dear Zzaphod, I'm "one of those lucky people". Don't ask me why, I don't have the slightest idea. I wish every single person here had got over 45 fully devoted years in -or whatever number of years their case is- with as little trauma as me. I very sincerely wish that were the case.

• magoo
    magoo

.....never really beleived any of it....

magoo

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Pissed off anger would sum things up quite nicely, since I spent 20 years of my life since birth in this

contrived bullshit and corrupt publishing house.

If my mother had her wits about her she would have never had joined,

but just like most people she was coerced with the appropriate fear tactics that the WTS.

exploits and utilizes.

There is a lot of contravening corruption inside god's only solemn organization on earth.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Born in. I am NOT one of those lucky people that can come to a firm and swift understanding of things that have happened in my life. I also could not sum up my feelings about JWs in one word.

Anger

Confusion

No fond memories at all after the age of 10. We moved to another city. Also, the JWs were making many changes about that time, clamping down on their members and starting the preparation for the big buildup to 1975.

Bitterness

Pity for extended family that are still in. Pity for my deceased parents that were probably trapped in the cult.

Hatred of the coercion and fear tactics used on my parents.

This forum has helped me a lot to heal from these feelings. I am much better than I was 2 years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit