Older Pets.....a fluff thread....What do your older pets do/need from you?

by restrangled 11 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

My kids are grown and the pets they grew up with are now getting into their senior years.

How sweet they are. The Cat is 15 and insists on sleeping with me every night. She's a big fat furry Tuxedo cat...... prissy as they ever came and still crosses her front paws when she lays down. She has not once her entire life messed in the house. There has never been a dirt box. The previous old cat taught her to go out side .....we had him for 15 years. He died 5 years ago.

My remaining Doberman has developed a gray muzzle and eyebrows. I can tell his hips hurt him. He can't pee like a male any more, he just squats like a female dog. He can't sit, so I never ask him to. It's just down or lay down. When I give him treats he runs through the entire gamut of his tricks before he takes it. ......(Give me 5, Give me 10, Lay, Stay)

He tries hard to be a Doberman, but sleeps most of the day. On walks, he sometimes just halts mid walk and lays down....we rarely go any more, but he still loves car rides in the front seat.

His favorite things are to sun himself, new toys that squeak, and during the day sleep on Mom's pillows, which I have to continually wash.

He loves a nice warm shower, mozzarella cheese sticks, and kisses and loving from his humans.

What do your older pets do/require? They really are special!

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

My 8 yr old doxie wants a mattress and a sun beam. She seriously has a preference for mattresses over couches for sleeping. Her little old bones seem to be getting to her lately, she sits and begs to be put on the couch/bed then hopping up herself or jumping down. She's also stiffer in the morning, needing more time to stretch. She completely quick walking on me during the blizzard and had to be carried outside to pee because of her arthritis (although I think she only did it to be allowed to sleep on the heating pad LOL she's not stupid!) I've switched her from Beneful Healthy Weight to Iams Senior recently, as well.She's very healthy, though, her little muzzle is grey she's still got a really shiny coat and isn't a fat weiner dog with belly dragging on the ground. The only problem I have is her "Death Breath". Never a chewer, I could never get her to take to a Floss bone. Her breath has become like an open grave, but I've been trying different dental bisquits tht seem to be improving it. She loves to go for walks, still too. She begs at the door on sunny days to go lay on the hill in the back yard.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Confuzzled....your doxie sounds so sweet!

Something I have discovered for breath control......soup bones. One a day. About $2.00 for six of them. My dog will chew and gnaw for over an hour and get the marrow out. It cleans the teeth naturally.....no tarter on this boys old teeth....and no stinky dog breath at all!

r.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The last older pet I had..Needed a Shovel..

Losing them Sucks..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• noni1974
    noni1974

I have an older cat who is 12 or 13 years old now. She has long hair so every now and then I have to cut it for her because she either can't or won't groom herself on her back and her hair gets all matted and yucky. So I give her hair cuts. Every now and again she needs the hair on her back legs trimmed also because she has poo hanging from it. Other than a nice cuddly place to sleep and good food and clean water she only needs help with her hair so far. She's still healthy and loves nothing better then to be petted and loved on.

She still plays when she wants to. I haven't noticed her being in any pain while moving around.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

We had to take our old lady cat to the vet for a cortisone shot. He said she had an inflamed disc in her back that was causing her pain. We carried her to her Fancy Feast bowl and litter box for a couple of days, and were so relieved she pulled out of her pain. Hope she's with us for many more years!

Our elderly dog had to have his teeth cleaned, not cheap but he's family. He groans when getting to his feet but he still follows me from room to room, flopping down in the doorway to protect me. No matter how many times he has to get up, he still goes with me. I make sure he gets roast beef and gravy with the family!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have 4 cocker Spaniels the father is 10 the sons are 9, they like to go for walks, They like carrot treats, banana treats,

any kind of treats. We just had one of the boys teeth cleaned it was like 300$.

Our 19 year old cat died March 7, we have one more 19 year old cat she seems to be doing well.

But I have a lot of old animals and I dread loosing them.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

I have a female rottweiler who is 13 years old now. She has pretty much taken over the sofa, and sleeps on it about 20 hours a day. She still gets excited when you throw her tennis balls, but only brings them back 2 or 3 times, then she just lays down and looks at me. She also enjoys barking at delivery guys, USPS, FED-EX, UPS, she hates them all equally. They ring the bell, drop the package, and run like hell down the driveway. She has never gone after any of them, but she is very intimidating looking / sounding. She is getting old and having hip pain, but she is still happy. The 2 biggest problems I have with her is that she HATES baths and getting her toenails clipped. It takes 3 of us to clip her nails. She is the most loving, most obedient dog I have ever had, I hate to see her get old. I wish I could sleep half as good as she does, 3AM and she is snoring away. I'm wide awake after a handfull of pain pills and muscle relaxers.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My stepson's mother left behind a Border Collie/Springer Spaniel mix. The old girl is 13...developed diabetes three years ago and is now completely blind. She gets two 19-unit insulin shots a day. She's also arthritic, but it doesn't bother her since she lost 33 pounds. She doesn't go any further than the driveway on a lead, because she's aggressive with other dogs, and I can't control her. She's very gentle and docile with all human other than the mailman, and the FED EX and UPS guys. I have no idea why. The only ime she doesn't sleep is when she's eating or outside to potty and bark her head off at anyone or anything that comes by. When sleeping, she barks and snores.

Oh, and she's absolutely petrified of my 14-pound, 9 1/2-year old cat, Buddy.

• ufo1
    ufo1

We have a ridgeback which is the sweetest dog I have ever known. She is only six so not really old. All she wants from us is what she gives...unconditional love. Animals are the best!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit