'Tunnel of Doubts'

by ISP 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Hi waiting and all.

Yes I was on vacation in Barbados with my family. When they were all tucked away I would stack up a few bottles and go on H2O and I remember being on H2O. I have some correspondance issues with the society on the blood issue which I will post when I am thru. I am still in the Org. and have to watch myself.

Don't forget also that I am in the UK and when you guys are logging on I maybe fast asleep so I may not be able to keep up with the threads so well.

Another thing on doubts-compare how doubts are to be viewed if you are in another religion! Healthy! Like they say - One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist! but there is a double standard here.

ISP

Edited by - ISP on 2 January 2001 1:32:16

• mommy
    mommy

Hey Isp and Deacon:)
    Welcome!
    I was raised in the truth and ALWAYS had doubt! But a child is to believe what his parents say RIGHT? Some people believe in telling their children about Santa tooooooooo!
    I believe and mind you this is just lil ole me thinkin:)
    Doubt is your concience.... What you know in your HEART to be right and Doubt should be looked into, don't you think? If there is a nagging voice in your head saying "MAYBE" there might be a reason for it.
    Well that is just my thought on this:) Nice to meet you both and WELCOME:)~
    mommy

• ISP
    ISP

Hi Mommy,

I think 'doubts' are a defence mechanism. Having them is OK. It makes you cautious and wary. If you are in a 'tunnel of doubt' - WT phrase, BTW, you are in a real hole and in need of help.

The point I was making the WT article could have come up with a whole lot more as it had the opportunity to do so.

Regards

ISP

• OrangeVale Bob
    OrangeVale Bob

I had written something explaining my take on doubts, but discarded it.
    What I think is more interesting is that the article was written at all! An article about doubts is going to influence the reader to focus on doubts even if they weren't having any.
    The thing about doubts is that they never go away, unless they are dispelled. They can be ignored, but they still linger. So why call our attention to them?
    This must be a widespread problem.

• larc
    larc

Mommy,

I thought what you said was beautiful: "Doubt is your conscience.. what you know in your Heart to be right and Doubt should be looked into."

I think the nature of people is good. I think we try to do the best we know how, and I believe that God is good and merciful and loving. And I think your statement that I quoted is inspiring.

• mommy
    mommy

I am blushing now:)
    thanx Larc
    mommy

• ISP
    ISP

Hi Orange Vale Bob, you said 'The thing about doubts is that they never go away, unless they are dispelled. They can be ignored, but they still linger. So why call our attention to them?'

The answer must be that doubts are widespread and there are of course. To the extent that the WT referred to someone have a 'tunnel of doubts' which I guess is great deal more than having some doubts.

To a certain extent doubts have been demonised so there is a distinct disincentive to own upto having them or dwelling on them.

BTW anything you think the article could have mentioned?

ISP

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

It's nice to see you again Deacon. I hope you are well and can eventually find some peace. I remember those nights you speak of well. It only shows that our hearts were and still are in the right place.

Many of the doubts that plagued me for so long have been dispelled. Perhaps not in the way I was hoping they would, but at some point when one decides to face his doubts, he must accept where they lead.

These days many doubts have simply become unanswered questions, or questions with no answers in the present. I simply have grown to accept these and am feeling comfortable to let the passage of time or faith fill in the rest.

Path

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

mommy, I loved your comment about doubts being your conscience. In many cases that is very true.

I was also raised in the "truth" and spent a LOT of time pushing doubts away and blaming myself for having them. They WERE things that I KNEW to be hypocritical and ungodlike, however, and I was finally forced to take them out and examine them closely. When I did, I found that I could no longer in good conscience remain as an active JW.

By demonizing the very act of doubting, the WTBTS is attempting to prevent the inevitable loss of members that would result from people researching and resolving their doubts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit