'Tunnel of Doubts'

by ISP 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Tunnel Of Doubts

This subject was discussed in the 1. Feb.01 WT. It is an interesting expression, ‘tunnel of doubts’ – as if several doubts merge to produce an overall ‘tunnel’ from which it could be difficult to emerge. The article promised much but it failed to assist those in such a position in my opinion. I would be interested in any comments on this including any instruction that would indeed help those in a ‘tunnel of doubts’.

Please find below a fair summary of the material under the heading ‘What if Doubts Linger?’

On page 10, parag 9 the WT said’ What if we do find ourselves in a tunnel of doubts? What should we do then? Wise King Solomon provides the answer: Prov 2:1-5.

I found that the choice of scripture was somewhat surprising because the account deals with the invitation from a father to a son to continue seeking and searching wisdom and discernment as if searching for hidden treasure. DOUBT would not be an overpowering element in the father-son relationship. I think the discovering of gems from the scriptures, YOURSELF, can be inspiring and can enhance your view of truth/scripture but will not assist those who have doubts particularly where the doubt is based on an apparent unscriptural teaching/view. It may in actual fact add to the ‘tunnel’ the person finds themselves in.

Parag. 10 states ‘The hidden treasures of his Word can dispel any doubts and help us see the light of truth.’ Not necessarily so as indicated above and I would submit that the ‘light of truth’ should be readily understood and not only after immense research. It was at least that way for many in the first century.

Parag.11 used the account of 2 Kings 6:11-18 where Elisha’s attendant expressed some doubt. The parag. Started by saying ‘A clear example of how prayer helped a fearful and doubting servant of God…..’

It would be fair to say that Elisha’s attendant expressed some doubt but I wouldn’t describe it as a ‘tunnel ‘ but momentary. It was also at a time when God was actively identifying himself and the servant’s comment could be understood differently as oppose to any real perceived doubt.

Furthermore the prayer referred to at the start of parag. 11 was not from the person with alleged doubts but from Elisha himself! So the account cannot be used to show how the person with doubts HIMSELF used prayer.

Parag.12 highlighted how the Jehovah made the servant see the heavenly armies that were fighting for them but then takes the matter onto a different subject in that it says ‘Remember, that attendant of the prophet did not have the complete Bible to study in order to strengthen his faith. We do have the Bible. If we put it to good use, our faith can be strengthened.’

The attendant did not seem to rely on any portion of scripture but received the vision. The mention of the Bible appears to take us back to parag.9 and Proverbs 2. 1-5 which has been dealt with.
    The section ends with the following ‘For example, we might ponder on the several accounts that describe Jehovah in his heavenly court. These leave no room for doubt that Jehovah does have a heavenly organization supporting his servants in the worldwide educational work today.’

This might only be of benefit if that was our particular doubt. You may also take issue over whether the scriptures quoted do support what is being suggested. To someone in a ‘tunnel’ it would seem unlikely the WT’s conclusions would be followed.

So to me the article appeared to take the matter of doubts seriously and at least tried to deal with the situation. I think the objective was a good one but the article would unlikely help any who found themselves in the unfortunate spiritual circumstances referred to.

ISP

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

ISP:
    I’ve not yet read that article so I really can’t be analytical of it. Doubt is not always a bad thing, however. That’s why people get second opinions on serious medical matters, for instance. So when speaking of dispelling doubt one must ask, Doubt of what?
    I would not describe ‘doubt’ as a tunnel but rather as voids in a picture or pattern or perhaps hazy or fuzzy images that drift in an out of the picture. Doubt is, after all, not necessarily disbelief but more like uncertainty leaning toward unbelief. Hope on the other hand is uncertainty leaning toward belief. How similar the two are! Hope and doubt. One is viewed as positive and the other as negative but the two often change positions. A hope can prove to be false and a doubt can be dispelled. The only time they change or disappear entirely is when the reality of the matter manifests itself.
    “I hope he comes.” --“Oh, great, he’s here!” No more hope, the reality of his arrival is conclusive, end of hope. ( Or, if he doesn’t come, THAT reality ends the hope)
    “I don’t think he will come.” –- “Oh, shoot! I knew he wouldn’t come!” No more doubt, the reality of his non-arrival is conclusive, end of doubt. (Or, if he does come, THAT reality ends the doubt)
    There will always be hope and doubt. Doubt in its normal context exists when there is either insufficient evidence to satisfy by proofs or when contradictory evidence intrudes upon a belief. (Sometimes a combination of the two.) Two obvious solutions presents themselves when we look at it this way. First, get more evidence to support the idea. Second, discredit the contradictory ‘evidence’. (Sometimes a combination of the two.)
    It is the responsibility of the proponent of a concept or idea to supply those proofs that he believes support his idea. It is the job of the listener to evaluate those proofs and to allow doubt to do its job when that evidence is unclear or contradictory to what is currently accepted. To tell the listener not to doubt is to tell him not to think. Doubt is a natural occurrence and it serves a useful purpose. You don’t ever want to get rid of doubt.
    Now if one wants to dispel doubt of a PARTICULAR idea, concept, dogma, etc. then it is up to that one to convince by a preponderance of proofs and/or refutation of contradictory evidence to that effect. You don’t tell the reader not to doubt. You show him why you are correct. You illuminate the dark corners and sharpen the fuzzy edges with logic and proofs.
    There is a way, however, in which God works that is unlike what has been presented here. God and God alone is able to bypass logic and reasoning and go directly to the heart and impart hope and faith by direct revelation. Sometimes that revelation is contrary to what we formerly believed or felt. As a result we are not able to ‘convince’ others of our hope and faith inasmuch as it was by divine revelation. We can only express our feelings to others while at the same time not demanding that they accept what can only come from God. For God reveals himself to us all in varying degrees and by different means and all for different purposes of which he alone is cognizant.
    Is doubt a sign of spiritual immaturity or weakness? No. Doubt is a human faculty which all normal people possess. Jesus Christ, the epitome of faithfullness once cried out: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Sobering, isn’t it? But it is also encouraging to know that this bastion of faith and submission to the divine will, the ‘perfecter of our faith’, once cried out like all of us have at one time or other in our agony and desperation and wondered (doubted) if God had perhaps forsaken us.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Snowball
    Snowball

It seems that the WTS persists in viewing doubts as a form of fear or ignorance.They try to avoid the idea that doubts can be the product of informed conclusions.

Wayne Rogers

• thinker
    thinker

If a 2/3 majority of the GB has doubts, it's called "New Light". If one man on the GB has doubts, it's called "apostasy".

"The section ends with the following ‘For example, we might ponder on the several accounts that describe Jehovah in his heavenly court. These leave no room for doubt that Jehovah does have a heavenly organization supporting his servants in the worldwide educational work today."

Clearly, the only JW's allowed the luxury of doubts are those on the GB.

thinker

• larc
    larc

Doubt serves a very useful purpose. In science it has lead to great discoveries. In technology to great inventions. On a personal level, it protects us from scam artists.

• Deacon
    Deacon

I wish I knew the answers...
    I have doubts, severe doubts based on history and broken understandings...
    The Witness in me keeps me "believing"..

Sleepless nights, anxiousness, hope against hope..prayers all night long...

I have lost faith in the structure...the code of ethics and the mentality of the average Witness...

that is my tunnel of doubt...

Edited by - Deacon on 1 January 2001 13:43:5

• ISP
    ISP

Just something else from this article. Doubts are viewed extremely negatively.

For example the Page 9 3rd paragraph states 'One ploy that Satan uses is to plant doubts in our mind'.

Also Page 17 parag 14, 'In his second letter he [Peter] warned that in the last days, there would be ridiculers-apostates and doubters-who, according to their own wishes, would raise questions about Christ's presence.

So if you have doubts you may think that Satan has attacked you in some way. You may choose to ignore doubts in favour of incredulity. You would view others who have doubts negatively viewing them as perhaps,potential or actual ridiculers or apostates.

The expression 'tunnel of doubts' was from the article so having raised the subject I would have expected it to deal with it in a substantive manner.

ISP

• waiting
    waiting

Hey ISP and Deacon,

Nice to meet y'al. I've been reading this thread, just a bit deep for me.

ISP, have you posted on H20 while on vacation, I think, in the Bahamas? I had an interesting discussion with a guy on vacation there about a week ago. About midnight - and I was wondering what in the world would a man in the Bahamas be doing surfing the net in that pretty place. I didn't ask him that, however.

We have a Hello? Hello? intro-type thread going on if you both would like to read about some of us (Red's a hoot) and we'd appreciate knowing a little/lot about y'al. There's also an older Hello? Hello? Hello? same-type thread, but it got waaaay too long.

waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Deacon:
    Been there, done that! It's not an easy process for one that was in it 'whole hog', so to speak. It is extremely difficult to break away from the conditioning that we received for many years.
    That 'Witness' in you is a good thing. It's the part of you that wants to serve God and neigbor. You need to free it so that it can do more.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

Hey ISP,

Now to your post, please.

Also Page 17 parag 14, 'In his second letter he [Peter] warned that in the last days, there would be ridiculers-apostates and doubters-who, according to their own wishes, would raise questions about Christ's presence.

How nice, after saying that Satan plants doubts, to hook apostates and doubters together. A not-so-delicate "subliminal" message to doubters. Doubters/apostate/Satan Pretty much covers the Evil Triangle.

In other words, a jw trying to stay within the organization would be reluctant to tell anyone they were having "doubts." JW's are famous for labeling anybody. How handy that we now have a new class: The Doubter Class. I'm sure Focus over at H20 will be amused.

Another way to keep the R&F quiet. Don't want the label? Keep your doubts to yourself. "Wait on Jehovah".

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit