Relationship with god, what is it really?

by highdose 13 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

My wife and I used to question each other about this, we both could not understand how we could have a relationship with someone who never spoke to us !

We both decided to put that on the back-burner and remained in the Cult. We now realise that no God exists.

Wobble

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I walked out of the Kindom Hall twenty years ago because none of it made any sense. I 'studied the bible' with two different brothers but when we prayed I never felt that there was anyone listening. I wanted to be a good Witness but I was never able to believe in god in an emotional way. Now I don't believe in god at all. I tried praying to my 'Higher Power', and that seemed to work slightly better, but it's still an illusion. I got a letter from a family member last year asking me to "consider my relationship with Jehovah." I wish. Whether you pray to god or shout at god, or curse god, he never replies. It only matters to yourself. Crazy religion.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I believe there is more than mere psychological construct behind the concept of a god. There is something organizing and unifying about this universe that compels humans to assign human attributes to it. The form of god common in most religions is clearly man-made but that doesn't necessarily invalidate the existence of some consciousness there. Because we don't understand it we invent gods.

• Life is now
    Life is now

I agree with Mad Sweeney. Well put.

I no longer believe there could be such a person as a god of love who could also be a god of vengeance, and even if there was such a god I certainly do not want to worship him.

On the other hand, a belief in having something, whether it comes from outside of us or inside of us such as a higher self, that we can tap into to be comforted and/or empowered can be valuable. That is the path I have been exploring recently and I've found hidden strengths I never knew I had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit