Immunizations?

by crazy2try 27 Replies latest jw friends

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I have a question. Today at work a woman was saying that she was upset because the foster mother of her children had taken the children to the dr and they received their immunization shots. She told a co-worker that she was mad because they did not respect her beliefs. I later asked the co-worker what the ladies beliefs were based off of. She said "She is one of those Jehovah's Witnesses and doesn't believe in getting her kids the shots."

Now am I wrong...I grew up as a witness and never heard that this was an issue for fellow witnesses. My dad (elder) mom (pioneer) had made sure that we had our shots. I made sure that my two children receive theirs.

Was the lady just looking for a something to blame her own decisions on. I'll tell ya, from what I saw I didn't see witness. Let me know if I am wrong. Cause I am going to run into her again.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The witnesses used to be dead against immunizations (to the same degree as blood transfusions).

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

Really? I so don't remember this. The lady I overheard was in her mid 30's. Same age as me.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

“Vaccination never prevented anything and never will, and is the most barbarous practice ... Use your rights as American citizens to forever abolish the devilish practice of vaccination.” - GA 10/12/21 p17

Thinking people would rather have smallpox than vaccination, because the latter sows the seed of syphilis, cancers, eczema, erysipelas, scrofula, consumption, even leprosy, and many other loathsome affections.Hence the practice of vaccination is a crime, an outrage and a delusion.” - GA 05/01/29 p502

“Vaccination summed up is the most unhygienic, barbaric, filthy, abhorrent, and most dangerous system of infection known.Its vile poison taints, corrupts, and pollutes the blood of the healthy, resulting in ulcers, syphilis, scrofula, erysipelas, tuberculosis, cancer, tetanus, insanity, and death” - GA 01/03/23 p214

“Avoid serum inoculations and vaccinations as they pollute the blood stream with their filthy pus.” - GA 11/13/29 p106-7

The matter of vaccination is one for the individual that has to face it to decide for himself ... our Society cannot afford to be drawn into the affair legally or take the responsibility for the way the case turns out ... all objection to vaccination on scriptural grounds seems to be lacking.” - WT 12/15/52 p764

• nelly136
    nelly136

i was born in the 60's i had no immunisations whatsoever as a child. i assumed it was something to do with the thalidamide problems they'd around that period putting my parents off . it wasnt until later i learned that vaccinations were one of those jw grey areas.

i do remember we used to go visit the kids (usually jws) that had communicables to 'get it over with', i think the term is measle parties.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

It is a personal decision now, and some witnesses decide against it. Some vaccines are made with plasma, which is derived from blood. I knew a few witnesses and they didn't get any vaccinations on that basis.

• alanv
    alanv

All the above is true, but these days as far as I am aware most witnesses would not even question this. They simply have injections as a matter of course

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It was made a conscience matter in 1952, the year I was born. I had my first vaccination when I was nine. That was because it was a requirement to get a visa to go where the need was great.

Once we got there, vaccinations were off the menu even when my entire school was vaccinated.

• Farkel
    Farkel

As has been pointed out, the WTS dropped its ban on vaccinations in 1952, however the JW mindset against it continued. When the ban was on, JW parents would visit shady doctors to get a fake certification for small pox shots so that their children could attend school. Other JW parents would carve their children's arms to create a scar and make it look like they had received a vaccination.

In 1956 my mother would still not allow me to have a polio vaccination, even though the WTS ban had been lifted. In 1961 the Sabin oral vaccine was created and my mother would STILL not let me take it. I could have been crippled for life, but was lucky, I guess. Strangely enough, I did get a small pox vaccination when I was little, though. I never did ask my mother why she let me get one.

Insanity!

Farkel

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was born in 1952. (third generation) My parents were reluctant to have me immunized. I was the last in my school to get any of the shots... I remember them well. The school nurse really put the pressure on, and my parents finally gave in.

I don't think I ever got the booster shots though... We moved when I was in the 6th grade...so that school nurse wasn't involved any more... I remember one oral polio dose... but nothing after that.

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit