How To Construct a Creationist/Theistic Argument

by darkl1ght3r 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

bohm - "That definition of 'universe' may be a poor one, but at least he provide one - if you follow these debates that is what i mostly ask people to do; provide proper definitions (see: cause, effect, regression, infinite, eternal, ...). I know it sound pedantic, but it is impossible to have a discussion when we dont know what each other mean."

Poor one? What the hell are you talking about? It's a perfectly acceptable and common definition of the word, especially in discussions such as this!!! From Wikipedia:

The Universe comprises everything we perceive to existphysically, the entirety of space and time, and all forms of matter and energy. The term Universe may be used in slightly different contextual senses, denoting such concepts as the cosmos, the world, or Nature.

The word Universe is usually defined as encompassing everything. However, using an alternative definition, some cosmologists have speculated that the "Universe" composed of expanding space-as-we-know-it, is just one of many disconnected "universes", which are collectively called the multiverse [1] .

From Princeton WordNet:

Noun

I specifically noted that that was the definition I was using. I am well aware that it can be confused with more colloquial definitions, which is why I asked that DD define what he meant, which he did not do, leaving me to guess at the intended meaning of some terms.

I suppose next we should clear up what is meant by "God".

• bohm
    bohm

Indeed, in these debates i often wonder what the hell i am talking about...

As i understand BTS and DD, they seem to distinguish between 'our' universe, ie. the space-time and mass/energy that came into existence (lets not split hair here) in the big bang, the laws of physics we are governed by, etc and 'Gods' universe (what i call the 'meta-universe') that seem to be 'eternal' (what that means) and may follow a different set of rules.

I want to add that the existence of such an universe is not something i am convinced off is a given thing; infact i can feel i want to avoid it in every way because it seem like a very ugly concept to invent a universe as a 'deux ex machina' that fix every problem! But this is way above my paygrade and i dont want to commit to one side or another on that question.
    However, since BTS and DD use these constructs i assume they exist and see where that leave us. Personally, i dont feel the existence of a meta-universe is the weakest link, it is why such a thing would be God.

When i wrote your definition was a 'poor' i think you misunderstood me since english is not my first language. I ment to imply: 'You MAY be right Darklighters definition is not the right one in the context of this discussion'.

The definition you use is also the one i would normally use in a different setting. I also think i made it clear that i believe the definition is consistent and i fail to see why it provide a contradiction as DD seem to imply; that is at least what i ment to write.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

bohm:

Yeah, sorry I came off pissy. And that goes to DD and BTS as well. Despite the abrasive tone these conversations can take on sometimes, I love having them! But I'm a masochist for this type of thing...

And I believe you are right about the type of universe that DD and BTS are arguing for, but my mind does a loop-de-loop when I try to make sense of it. On the one hand you have our "universe" or possibly even a multiverse, and then you have another, completely different and completely seperate type of universe that is somehow 'above' the one that comprises our reality, a spiritual realm.

But... (and here's part of my problem with that concept), once that spiritual realm is confirmed to exist, and manifests in OUR reality, as supposedly it does if we owe our very existence to it, it then becomes part of the universe at large, i.e. "all that exists". That is also a good explanation of why I prefer the definition that I described above. If it exists and influences our reality, then we should be able to measure and quantify it somehow. If it (or it's effects) cannot be measured and quantified, how are we then supposed to be able to distinguish it from non-existence?

My other problem wit that concept is that it's completely useless to science. Science works by taking the complicated and breaking it down into the less-complicated, or explainable. If you are trying to explain something, and your explanation only adds a further, unnecesserily more complicated layer on top of the problem, then something has gone wrong in your explanation, and you've explained nothing. That is why positing a whole different plane of reality, one even beyond other multiverses, seems contrived, simply to accomodate the God factor.

It's the difference between saying "The paperboy delivers my paper every morning," and "It may look like the paperboy delivers my paper, but it's really little green men from mars in league with the Illuminati."

• hooberus
    hooberus

BTS said:

And no, no special pleading here. If an uncaused cause did not begin to exist (i.e. is eternal) then it doesn't need a cause; and exactly the same applies for the Universe. If the Universe is eternal, then it doesn't need a cause either. This is why the argument is actually not special pleading for "God", because this reasoning has been used by many atheists for the natural Universe itself.

Darkl then responded:

Ok, you are actually partially right on this one. One may apply the argument to God or to the universe. However, there's one HUGE difference between God and the universe: We know the universe exists. You're making an equivocation fallacy. Simply because the atheistic argument involves a similar facet, doesn't mean the theistic application is not special pleading. It is special pleading only in the theistic argument because "all things must have a cause" is NOT a necessary premise in the atheistic argument. You've created a "law" and then defined your God to be immune to that law. That is the definition of special pleading.

Special pleading involves making an argument about items with specific characteristics [e.g., an "effect"], and then (without proper justification) exempting something with those same characteristics from that same argument. For example a person tries to exempt an "effect" simply because it is blue in colour.

However it is not "special pleading" to point out that something not believed to have the specific characteristic/s [i.e. not an effect] need not be included in the same argument.

The problem with Darkl's response is that the "theistic argument" in the OP was not that "all things must have a cause", but instead more specifically that "all effects" must have a cause.

In order to demonstrate "special pleading" he needs to show that God himself would have to be be an "effect", and that he is therefore being unjustly excluded by the theist from a comprehensive argument specifically about effects, such as the one in the OP that "all effects require a cause".

• bohm
    bohm

hooberus: With all respect, i feel there is a tendency to shift the burden of evidence to us poor atheists :-) . Quite frankly i dont have an honest clue about what such things as 'eternal', 'infinite', 'God', 'cause', 'effect' (my two dear chestnuts!) mean in this discussion, and therefore it is hard to make statements about what is special pleading and what is not.

Therefore, i think it would be more fruitfull to get an answer to statements such as: Is God an effect? (how can we know that? Are there other things that can be 'not an effect'?), and how that statement is generally connected to the whole theistic argument.

Quite frankly, my level of confusion has reached the point where i am not sure anyone here even believe the theistic argument we are trying to discuss hold water!

I dont know if it is just me who are very fuzzy about what things mean...

• hooberus
    hooberus
    hooberus: With all respect, i feel there is a tendency to shift the burden of evidence to us poor atheists :-) . Quite frankly i dont have an honest clue about what such things as 'eternal', 'infinite', 'God', 'cause', 'effect' (my two dear chestnuts!) mean in this discussion, and therefore it is hard to make statements about what is special pleading and what is not.

It is the atheists here who charge that it is "special pleading" for theists to not also include God in specific written arguments about things like "effects" , etc. Hense they need to demonstrate that God should also logically be included under such categories [i.e., "an effect"] in order to substantiate their charge of special pleading.

If I make an argument specifically about Toyota Camrys and runaway acceleration caused by their throttle design, it is not necessarily special pleading to not include Hondas in the same argument, since Hondas do not share all of the characteristics of Toyotas. If you charge that it "special pleading" for me to not include Hondas in the same argument, then you need to demonstrate that Hondas necessarily have these same chracteristics (e.g. same throttle design), and should also be included. If you can't then you shouldn't charge special pleading.

• bohm
    bohm

hooberus: But i say again, the only definition we have of 'effect' is DD who told me to 'look it up in a dictionary'. This ment we had a circular definition of cause and effect. I am not charging you with special pleading, i am just pointing out the very obvious problem that I (and while i am not speaking for Darklighter i think he has the same problem) are simply not aware what those words mean.

IF there are anyone here advancing a theistic argument, THAT person must know what those words mean. Its really just an invitation to share that definition, and how it work in the argument.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I think you'll find that the person who made the distinction between eternal & infinite was talking out of their arse. I mean no disrespect to them, really i don't. But come on, look in any dictionary, they both mean exactly the same thing, & are listed as synonyms for eachother in every thesaurus i can find.

*sigh* It's difficult to have a discussion when people don't know what words mean.

Please see the definition below eternal. You will not see infinite used anywhere. Now, please look at definition 5: Timeless.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eternal

Main Entry: 1 eter·nal Pronunciation: \i- ' t?r-n ? l\ Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Late Latin aeternalis, from Latin aeternus eternal, from aevumage, eternity — more at aye Date: 14th century

1 a : having infinite duration : everlasting <eternal damnation> b : of or relating to eternity c : characterized by abiding fellowship with God <good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? — Mark 10:17(Revised Standard Version)>
    2 a : continued without intermission : perpetual <an eternal flame> b : seemingly endless <eternal delays>
    3 archaic : infernal <some eternal villain…devised this slander — Shakespeare>
    4 : valid or existing at all times : timeless <eternal verities>

OK. Now for Wikipedia and here is the beginning of the entry for "Eternity":

While in the popular mind, eternity often simply means existence for a limitless amount of time, many have used it to refer to a timeless existence altogether outside time.

An eternal being exists outside time; by contrast, a sempiternal being exists throughout an infinite time. Sempiternity is also known as everlastingness.

QED

BTS

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Sorry BTS, but what you just wrote there was little more than hot air, & you know it. Firstly, you dared to sigh at me for not knowing what certain words mean, when you quite clearly don't know what the word THESAURUS means. I never said a dictionary definition of 'eternal' would contain the word 'infinite'. I said that they are listed as synonyms of eachother in every THESAURUS that i can find.

I did however say that their definitions in dictionaries are pretty much the same, well to be honest they're exactly the same, because when you get past all the baggage & get to the heart of it, they both simply mean 'endless', & you obviously know that. Yes, they may not be worded exactly the same way in every dictionary (the dictonary writers need a little variety afterall), but they essentially say the same thing, which you evidenced by being careful not to post the definitions of both words. Oh yes, i did notice that you only posted the definition of 'eternal'. Care to post the definition of 'infinite' now?

Also, the dictionary definition says that 'eternal' means existing for all times, not existing OUTSIDE of time. There is no such thing as OUTSIDE of time, that is an abstract concept that resides in the same realm as square circles & the like. And as for the 'many' referred to in that wikipedia article, i think it's pretty obvious what kind of creationists people that 'many' is referring to (& was most likely written by, remember, anyone can edit wikipedia).

Once again, i mean no disrespect, but i know dishonesty when i see it.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

hooberus:

Special pleading involves making an argument about items with specific characteristics [e.g., an "effect"], and then (without proper justification) exempting something with those same characteristics from that same argument. For example a person tries to exempt an "effect" simply because it is blue in colour.

Ok. I don't disagree with that definition. Special pleading = an insufficiently justified exclusion.

However it is not "special pleading" to point out that something not believed to have the specific characteristic/s [i.e. not an effect] need not be included in the same argument.

Agreed.

The problem with Darkl's response is that the "theistic argument" in the OP was not that "all things must have a cause", but instead more specifically that "all effects" must have a cause.

That's not a problem. It's semantics. I used them interchangebly as I've seen the argument phrased both ways from creationists. But I will grant you, they're not necessarily the same thing.

In order to demonstrate "special pleading" he needs to show that God himself would have to be be an "effect", and that he is therefore being unjustly excluded by the theist from a comprehensive argument specifically about effects, such as the one in the OP that "all effects require a cause".

Here is where you start to go wrong. I don't need to demonstrate anything about God. Nor could I (nor could anyone, for that matter). I am not making an assertion about God's nature. (Why would I attribute demonstrable"qualities" to a being that I don't believe exists?) The theists are the ones making the assertion that he is an "uncaused cause". The burden of proof rests on the theists to logically explain how he could posess such a quality, i.e. how they know he is uncaused. Otherwise, what is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

It is the atheists here who charge that it is "special pleading" for theists to not also include God in specific written arguments about things like "effects" , etc. Hense they need to demonstrate that God should also logically be included under such categories [i.e., "an effect"] in order to substantiate their charge of special pleading.

Yes, I am making the charge of special pleading. But you are indeed shifting the burden of proof. See the stick-figure cartoon on the first page of this thread. You are asking the atheist to "prove you don't have a baseball" without providing evidence that you actually have a baseball.

If I make an argument specifically about Toyota Camrys and runaway acceleration caused by their throttle design, it is not necessarily special pleading to not include Hondas in the same argument, since Hondas do not share all of the characteristics of Toyotas. If you charge that it "special pleading" for me to not include Hondas in the same argument, then you need to demonstrate that Hondas necessarily have these same chracteristics (e.g. same throttle design), and should also be included. If you can't then you shouldn't charge special pleading.

Analogy: Fail. But let's work with it anyway. :)

The theistic argument I cited above (regardless of whether it be "effects" or "things"), was not about "Toyotas", it is along the lines of "all cars". The theistic argument is in effect saying, "All cars (not just Toyotas) are required to have 4 wheels, but not Hondas because Hondas are not cars."

That is a perfectly valid assertion if it can be demonstrated that there is a qualitative difference between a car and a Honda. If such a difference cannot be demonstrated, then it becomes special pleading because you are forced to come up with your own definition of what a "car" is, a definition that arbitrarily excludes Hondas.

Since you cannot demonstrate anything qualitative about God (or can you?), you are simply creating an arbitrary definition for God that happens to exclude him/her/it from "all things/effects".

It is not up to me to prove your definition of God incorrect. It is up to you to prove that your definition has merrit, whatever that may be. Otherwise, you are simply making an unjustifed exclusion.

The other theistic claim I cited presents an even more clear-cut case of special pleading: Life can only come from non-life.

Is God not... life? Please address this point in your response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit