How To Construct a Creationist/Theistic Argument

by darkl1ght3r 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm

BTS: The idea of a infinite, eternal, larger universe (lets call it the meta-universe for now and lets call whatever we live in the 'universe') is very repulsive to me on many levels. I think it is horrible. i offer it with no evidence to back it up, and while i can speculate causality does not hold in my 'imaginative universe', well, it feels very ugly to.

However, if the problem of infinite regress applies to the meta-universe, why not to God? God is eternal (so the bible say), and he created our universe; I see no reasons why any 'infinite' problems that apply to the meta-universe should not apply to God?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I see no reasons why any 'infinite' problems that apply to the meta-universe should not apply to God?

If we define an uncaused cause that is not infinite, but eternal, then the answer is no. It cuts the Gordian knot.

Eternal != infinite.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, when all other possibilities have been exhausted, that which remains must be true.

And physics is like Nazi Germany, if something is not forbidden, it is mandatory.

A meta-verse such like all of the ones I have ever heard of contain some measure of a series of events, and as such, has a meta-time. I am not saying such a thing does not exist, for example, the M-Theory brane-verse is an intriguing idea. But it still does not ditch a causal chain. Regardless of what kind of larger multiverses or mega/meta-verses we envision, we've only kicked the can further back along the road.

And yes, all of these cosmological arguments do nothing to prove the idea of a personal God such as the one that I believe in. All they prove is that there had to be an uncaused cause. However, they are useful when engaging atheist arguments against such an idea.

For me, this uncaused cause is God. However, I cannot prove this to you in such a manner that would satisfy you, with a scientific rigor, and I will freely admit it.

BTS

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Kiddies, I only know the definitions I read in the dictionary.

Supernatural means outside the natural order of existence or the visible natural universe, sometimes used to refer to ghosts, spirits, demons, gods, demigods, angels, geni, and the One God of the Bible.

Also, departing from the usual or normal as relates to physics, science, natural order.

Natural, one of the vaguest words ever, means "the inherent qualities of someone or something" and is a very subjective word. One person's idea of natural is anothers artificial crapola.

I'm not a physicist, obviously, (although I got straight As in it in high school and beyond) but I used to teach English writing and grammar and I am a writer who edits the works of other writers. I try not to use words that I don't know the meaning of because that is just silly and pretentious.

I haven't heard any good scientific argument against there being a Supernatural Super Being, nor have I ever heard a good one for it.

I like the idea that you get to choose what the hell you want to believe in, or not believe in as far as anything supernatural. What good would the whole idea of free will, which is a very appealing idea to most people, be without that uncertainty?

I sometimes hope it's deliberate and that God is sitting up there just laughing his ass off at humans and their endless debates about it, because it doesn't really make any difference.

There are good and bad people in both categories, the believers and the non believers. If it made such a huge damn difference for humans to believe in God, I'm sure God would make it possible for there to be definite proof so everyone would have no trouble at all believing. And if he's making it this hard on purpose, well, what an asshole! Who wants to have anything to do with such an asshole of a God anyway?

• bohm
    bohm

So there is a destinction between 'Eternal' and 'Infinite'. It raise a few questions:

1) What is the definitions of those two things. Infinite would (to me) mean there is no end to the time-dimension. What does external mean?

2) Is God then not infinite?

3) Why can 'eternal' not be applied to the 'meta-universe'? Is God not causal or something like that?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I think you'll find that the person who made the distinction between eternal & infinite was talking out of their arse. I mean no disrespect to them, really i don't. But come on, look in any dictionary, they both mean exactly the same thing, & are listed as synonyms for eachother in every thesaurus i can find.

The idea that something cannot be infinite, but can be eternal, is like saying that something cannot be big, but can be large. It's meaningless, & i think the person who said that knows, in their heart of hearts, that it means nothing. The idea that the universe cannot be infinite or eternal, but God can is equally meaningless. And i also find the idea that the universe absolutely CANNOT be infinite to be a pretty silly assertion as well. And although i do think that it probably isn't infinite, there just isn't any way of knowing for sure at this point in time. But i certainly don't think that just because the universe probably isn't eternal, that there must be something which is, let alone a God of any kind.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

bohm

As i read the discussion DD believe "All effects require a cause. Therefore, there must be a first cause." is a statement that is worth to defend, however as we saw his definition of 'Cause' and 'Effect' (or rather, the most common definition in the dictionary since he would not provide such one) make the first part of the statement a tautology, and therefore reduce to "therefore there exist a first cause". That is not an argument, it is just an unproven assertion!

Here's the problem. I start with my presupposition and Darkl1ght3r starts with his, but Darkl1ght3r won't admit his is just a presupposition.

Here is an example:

First of all, 'universe' can be simply defined as "all that exists". So there really is no "outside" of this universe, there are only portions we are unaware of.

The funny thing is, that not even all naturalists would agree with that assertion. String theorists believe there are an infinite number of universes, where anything is possible.

That statement also proves Darkl1ght3r is not neutral as to the question of the existence of God or the supernatural, and explains why he won't except the idea that he starts with a presupposition about God.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

DD:

That is your presupposition not mine or those who ascribe to string theory.

*Sigh* No. That is not a "presupposition". It's a fact based on the definition of the word, and it has absolutely nothing to do with string theory.

Don't you love it when they start talking down to us.

Sorry... I shouldn't have phrased it that way.

BTS:

Logic underpins what we deem as "Laws", not the other way around. First comes logic, and we use logic to come up with natural laws

That is so fractally wrong.

We do not "use" logic to "come up" with natural laws. Natural "laws" are based on one thing and one thing only: Observation. We call them "laws" because we have observed that nature will tend to behave in a consistant fashion. If logic underpinned our natural laws we would have to chuck quantum mechanics out the window. You seem to forget that a statement can be logically sound and still be incorrect. For example: "All dogs are grey. Mary has a dog. Mary's dog is grey." That syllogism is logically sound but factually incorrect due to the initial false premise.

Logic "works" only because nature behaves in a consistent and predictable fashion.

An infinite regression is illogical in and of itself because we end up with the problem of transgressing an infinite past. If everything that ever happened before today lacked a moment of time where T = 0 then an infinite past brings about the impossibility of ever getting to the present date.

Wrong again. There is nothing inherently illogical about an infinite regress. It is counter-intuitive because of our limited frame of refrence. There are two problems with that argument. First of all you're trying to impose an abstract philosophical and mathematical concept onto reality. Second of all, you assume that it would be impossible to to exist on any given point on an infinite timline. Yes, that IS an assumption, and is more than likely a false one.

Look at it this way... There is undeniably an infinite set of real numbers extending both directions, positive and negative, from zero. This is a basic mathematical concept. What you're saying is similar to stating that because that infinite set exists, then we can never count to 3. Yet: 1... 2... 3. Do you now see the problem with your argument?

And no, no special pleading here. If an uncaused cause did not begin to exist (i.e. is eternal) then it doesn't need a cause; and exactly the same applies for the Universe. If the Universe is eternal, then it doesn't need a cause either. This is why the argument is actually not special pleading for "God", because this reasoning has been used by many atheists for the natural Universe itself.

Ok, you are actually partially right on this one. One may apply the argument to God or to the universe. However, there's one HUGE difference between God and the universe: We know the universe exists. You're making an equivocation fallacy. Simply because the atheistic argument involves a similar facet, doesn't mean the theistic application is not special pleading. It is special pleading only in the theistic argument because "all things must have a cause" is NOT a necessary premise in the atheistic argument. You've created a "law" and then defined your God to be immune to that law. That is the definition of special pleading.

In the real world, they [infinities] do not exist.

You're making quite a claim here. Prove it. :) You are assuming that an infinite regress is an actual problem. It's only a "problem" because we can't comprehend it.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, when all other possibilities have been exhausted, that which remains must be true.

I've never liked that saying. It just doesn't work well in the real world. Yes it sounds good, but it also assumes that you are aware of all possibilities. Such is rarely, if ever, the case. Particularly in subjects as complicated as this.

If the Universe is eternal, then it doesn't need a cause either.
    It clearly can't be, because it is a series of causal events. See Kant's quote above.

Kant is a philosopher. Simply because he says it cannot be so, does not make it not so. He was citing his opinion, not a fact. Other philosophers might (and do) disagree with him. The very paper you link to as proof that it "can't be" says in the very first paragraph that the issue is "anything but settled". However, I would not be justified in citing the opposing opinion and declaring that "it clearly CAN be." Bottom line: We don't know.

Even if I accepted the premise that infinities are impossible, consistency and the rules of logic demand you apply the same reasoning to God. Otherwise it's simply special pleading.

So far, you are only proving the point I made in my original post.

• bohm
    bohm

DD: ... and i begin with a third set of presuppositions. I will not go into the inside-outside the universe debate since i feel it is splitting hairs. It is Darklighters statement not mine, and i am not really familiar with the variation of string theory you describe.

My original statement was that i feel an argument about 'cause' and 'effect' quickly become circular since the common definition of the two words rely on each other strongly... i wrote about that to some length, and i stand by those points - in particular that i feel you use 'cause' and 'effect' to create a tautology, and what is left is "therefore there exist a first cause"; if you had just written that was your presupposition i would have no problems, the problem is what i see as a very poor type of argument.

But i have to bite on darklighters statement. Darklighter DEFINE the universe to be "all that exist" (what i call the 'meta-universe' and what some would call 'God'). In that case, surely he can not be in error when he write "So there really is no "outside" of this universe" , he defined the universe to be 'all' so if there WAS something outside the universe it would, per definition, be 'in' the universe! surely you must agree to that?

That definition of 'universe' may be a poor one, but at least he provide one - if you follow these debates that is what i mostly ask people to do; provide proper definitions (see: cause, effect, regression, infinite, eternal, ...). I know it sound pedantic, but it is impossible to have a discussion when we dont know what each other mean.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r
    The funny thing is, that not even all naturalists would agree with that assertion. String theorists believe there are an infinite number of universes, where anything is possible.

That is not an inherently naturalistic assertion, or a presupposition. It's a word definition. If something can be reasonably determined to exist, then it can be said to be part of the universe (all that exists). Guess what... those other "universes", if they exist and regardless of whether or not we're aware of them, are part of "our" universe. Isn't that a mind fuck? :)

That statement also proves Darkl1ght3r is not neutral as to the question of the existence of God or the supernatural, and explains why he won't except the idea that he starts with a presupposition about God.

In what way? Please, in your own words, lay out more clearly the presupposition you believe I am making. I'll freely admit, I'm making the presupposition that God, and any argument that makes a case for his existence, should make sense if I am to take it seriously. Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

• bohm
    bohm

First a general note: Infinite TIME is very difficult to imagine because we have a very hard-wired intuition about time. Infinite SPACE is much easier, and since space and time are just coordinates it is not that artificial to try to swap the concepts.

We can easily imagine infinite space; through most of the 20th century people thought space was infinite! Our space-version of Kants argument would, i imagine, be that a ray of light (its location being the 'current moment' in Kants article) that had passed through that infinite space could not be; it would have had to pass through an infinite amount of space to be where it is, and each portion of space it pass (each of kants 'tick of the clock') has a finite length. Thus it is the same basic problem, just with space instead of time.

Personally i dont see why Kants argument does not apply to our ray of light, and i do not see why a ray of light passing through an infinite universe is impossible; infact i would offer that in Kants argument of infinite amount of addition we keep assuming the ray of light must have an origin which we, per construction, assume it has not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit