Most Respected Bible Translation

by Simon Morley 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• maputo95
    maputo95

Hi. I prefer a bible translation with the with the deuterocanical books included.

• steve2
    steve2

Get a translation that clearly describes the genocidal tendencies of the Old Testament - the New Jerusalem Bible nicely captures the blood-thristy bent of the Bible, although its closely rivalled by the New American tranlsation mentioned earlier by others.

• thomas15
    thomas15

A little late, sorry. The NASB also gets my vote. I'm one of those persons who has a large collection of english Bibles of various translations and have studied this quite a bit. For much of the 20th century, the translation used by scholars was, believe it or not, the American Standard Version 1903. I believe the watchtower owns the rights to it now. Their interest, as you probably know comes from the fact that the OT uses the word Jehovah.

I have a copy of the WT version of the ASV in my collection and I wouldn't use it for study as the type is small and will probably someday be a collectors item. This is my official confront JWs at my door with the truth about Jesus Bible. There is a company called Star Bible Publisher that still publish the ASV but it is generally not easy to locate in stores. I haven't seen an ASV in a Bible book store since the late 80s. The ASV is now a days very dated, the NASB is a revision of it. There is by the way 2 editions of the NASB, the 1973 edition and the NASB 95 (which you guessed it, is an update dated 1995).

The New Jerusalem Bible and the New American Bible that other posters mention are both Roman Catholic editions. They have the extra books and both have notes below the text that are Catholic in nature. Of the Two (and by the way I'm not Catholic), the New Jerusalem is by far the better translation.

• thomas15
    thomas15

Oh, I forgot to add one thing. Ivy League scholars today and mainline protestant (liberal) christians also like the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). It is avaliable with the deuterocanical books. I personally don't care for it but I have several editions in my collection.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The Bible doesn't need another good translation. It needs a good re-write

First we tried to burn them, but we found out there are just to damn many copies out there! I second the motion for a REWRITE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit