Good books against evolution?

by bohm 52 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

Thanks for the input! I very much hope this discussion will result in a short list of 'must-read' anti-evolution (pro-creation? dont know the most polite terms) books.

PS: Can you remember/recommend any of them? It is true that many blogs, etc. on evolution has a tendency to over-estimate the impact of a particular evidence and state something prove evolution when it does nothing of that kind. It is very damaging for the discussion.

Terry: That is true for some types of arguments, however i think eg. 'The greatest show on earth' present many very compelling facts, for example his examples on the results of breading of cabbage, dogs and foxes, that are fairly easy to understand and i would like to get another view on. It is my experience that facts, when the author understand them himself and WANT you to understand them, are often easily explained even to a lay-person.

• bohm
    bohm

PSacramento: I once saw an interview with a christian who said something along the lines: "I find it quite amazing some people want to turn the inspired word in the genesis into a simple 3rd grade science textbook, and thereby ignore the message it contain".

It is clear that if one say: "The bible says birds was created before land animals, so thats how it is" THEN that person make his interpretation of the bible and evidence for evolution (or rather, the current understanding of how things evolved on earth) mutually exclusive. However, that is just his intepretation, and i agree 100% that evolution and the law of gravity says equally much about theism in general.

LEAVINGWT: Been there, done that! :-).

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    the Creator book published by jws? i heard that was a real good one.

That might be a little too scientifically advanced for someone with a below genius reading level.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSacramento: I once saw an interview with a christian who said something along the lines: "I find it quite amazing some people want to turn the inspired word in the genesis into a simple 3rd grade science textbook, and thereby ignore the message it contain".
    It is clear that if one say: "The bible says birds was created before land animals, so thats how it is" THEN that person make his interpretation of the bible and evidence for evolution (or rather, the current understanding of how things evolved on earth) mutually exclusive. However, that is just his intepretation, and i agree 100% that evolution and the law of gravity says equally much about theism in general.

St Augustine, 1600 years ago, warned about making Genesis, indeed, th ebible a "science book" and he was right.

We must reconcile Genesis with what we KNOW, not the other way around, it is doing a great disservice to God to take the intellect he gave us and use it to deny the very works he has done, evolotuin being one of them.

Evolution is about How A became B became C, not about how A came into being, it is NOT about how the universe was created, but about how it has changed.

Genesis is a story about how God created the universe - First there was nothing, then God created the beginning of a series of events that lead to the "creation" of Humans.

Was man created from dust ie: Earth? yes, of course he was, like all other living organisims and in man is the "stuff" of the universe.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you start to believe/accept Evolution -- begin praying immediately. You may just need more faith. Satan is crafty, an Angel of Light. He has tinkered with the fossil record and he has inspired imperfect men to create eloborate, false scientific theories.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Moses wrote Genesis, right?

Assume he did:

Moses: So, Yahweh, they wanna know how the world started, there are all these stories going around, you know, cmapfire stuff, what's the scoop?

God: Keep using my name like you're talking to a meat vendor and I'll show you a trick or two !!

Moses: Sorry...

God: Ok, so here is how it went, 100's of millions of years ago, I began a chain reaction of cosmic events in the universe that lead, via various constant factors and physical laws, to the formation of many Planets...*God sees Moses picking his nose with a dumb look on his face*...Ok then...Lets' try this one:

Long ago, in the beginning, there was nothing and then I said, let there be light..."

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    There are a few books that reconcile BOTH and those are, in my view, far better than those that think Evolution has all the answers and those that think evolution has none.

Have you read any Teilhard De Chardin?

The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

This a book defending belief in God, not a book presenting a case against biological evolution.

Belief in God does not equate with a rejection of biological evolution. Psac already mentioned St. Augustine.

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Have you read any Teilhard De Chardin?

Nope, any suggestions?

• BurnTheShips
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sounds very interesting.

Thanks BTS.

Share this

Google+