Is it just me or do people who think they have some special inside relationship with God come off like self-absorbed lunatics?

by gubberningbody 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

farkel, I'll accept the idea of me being judgmental and annoying, but I don't think that word means what you think it means...\

" twit (v.)
    1530, aphetic form of atwite, from O.E. ætwitan "to blame, reproach," from æt "at" + witan "to blame," from P.Gmc. *witanan (cf. O.E. wite, O.S. witi, O.N. viti "punishment, torture;" O.H.G. wizzi "punishment," wizan "to punish;" Du. verwijten, O.H.G. firwizan, Ger. verweisen "to reproach, reprove," Goth. fraweitan "to avenge"), from PIE base *weid- "to see." For sense evolution, cf. L. animadvertere, lit. "to give heed to, observe," later "to chastise, censure, punish." The noun meaning "foolish, stupid and ineffectual person" is first attested 1934 in British slang, popular 1950s-60s, crossed over to U.S. with British sitcoms. It probably developed from the verb sense of "reproach" but may be influenced by nitwit."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LpHBnvsI

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

gubberningbody,

I confess that I feel the same way myself and I don't like to spend much time in their presence because every other sentence comes back to the same topic. Although, I never tell people like this now annoying they are. I just look at my watch and say: 'oops, gotta go'.

They can think what they want about themselves but that has no bearing on how I treat them.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It is not in any way necessary to have have some special inside relationship with God, to come off like a self-absorbed lunatic.

I manage this feat perfectly well on my own!

• Terry
    Terry

Having an invisible friend helps lonely people get through the day with "companionship".

Jehovah's Witnesses have an invisible King and live in an invisible Kingdom with invisible Truth with invisible results.

Look at it this way. It is a coping mechanism that comforts empty people...up to a point.

When it crosses the line (they start really believing the invisible person is more real than reality) it transforms them.

The usual transformation goes like this.

They cross over from the real world into the imaginary world.

Becoming insufferable to others is a wonderful clue this is happening.

Insisting they are right and everybody else is wrong is a clue.

We all know people like this. What makes them special is that special (invisible) relationship in the first place.

Best way to deal with them? Never never never accept any of their premises or engage in a conversation, discussion or argument which automatically stipulates to those premises.

MAKE THEM PROVE THEIR PREMISE before anything else.

(I like to ask: "Where are the original bible manuscripts?")

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

When people feel that they have a special relationship with God and that it some how mahe sthem more special than anyone else, this is NOT a case of too much Faith/Religion/God/Christ, it is a case of TOO LITTLE.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

HA! @ Gladiator. I find it very educational - for someone entering the field of mental health, it's like reading case studies.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    When people feel that they have a special relationship with God and that it some how mahe sthem more special than anyone else, this is NOT a case of too much Faith/Religion/God/Christ, it is a case of TOO LITTLE.

Hear, hear!

True that.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Is it just me or do people who think they have some special inside relationship with God come off like self-absorbed lunatics?

In order to find an equal, I am forced to talk to God.

The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're fucked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqfVzJhBRU4

BTS

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I have a best friend who I've never seen....he doesn't talk to me ever, but I pretend he does.....then I pretend he answers me. Sometimes he doesn't because it not his will. I know he loves me because another guy told me so, and he even wrote it in a book so it must be true.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yeah, I find it difficult to fall in love with a character in a book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit