Suppose a worldly person knows too much about the WTS

by dgp 29 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

I had a month long exchange of emails with a JW recently and almost every email he sent me was dishonest in some form or another. Like JW's don't follow the WT GB leaders at WT hdqtrs, JW's don't have to follow any WT blood rules, no JW is shunned by family members for leaving the KH, etc. It was all so laughable. I would do my research at the WT.org website and point out that his answer to my question was in conflict with the WT and he would blow it off. Nothing ever stuck to him that he had lied to me- he just would ignore getting caught in a fib.

• blondie
    blondie

I would stick with information from their own publications, as current as possible.

Hang Them With Their Own Words.

Blondie

• Heaven
    Heaven

Nothing ever stuck to him that he had lied to me

I've worked with some managers like this. We called them "Teflon Men".

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

dgp, it was someone like you that I worked with that helped to open my eyes to the big lie. This was before the days of the internet and his knowledge came from being a curious intelligent person.

Your knowledge is a valuable thing. Firstly, the fact that you understand the religion should open your colleague to discussing it with you. It sort of makes you seem like a potentially "interested one", which keeps communication open.

My advice to you is to translate all beliefs and activities into normal language, rather than to quote the literature extensively. For example, ask wide-eyed... "Does your group teach that everybody on earth is soon to be killed, except those in your group who will then be biologically changed so that they don't age, ever?"

The response will be something like "We can't say who will be saved", but the seeds of absurdity will be planted.

"Does your group believe that it is acceptable to celebrate the anniversary of a marriage, but any member who celebrates the anniversary of a birth should be shunned, excommunicated, never again spoken to?"

There are so many examples. Turn it from cult-language to normal language.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you don't want to set off their ApostaRadar, don't tell them anything.

Just ask questions.

Preferably questions based on what they said, or on what is common public knowledge, or on their official website.

They don't give a shit about 'miracle wheat' in an ancient magazine.

Cheers

Chris

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

can you be "apostate" if you've never been to a meeting nor basptized?

make them think

• Room 215
    Room 215

JWs have to count on the householder's ignorance of the Bible and/or JW history in order to make any headway with them; if a "wordly" non-JW person for whatever reason knows anything about the history of JWs, the dubbie at the door is about to be "blindsided"

• Heaven
    Heaven

Room215, this is what I have found too. They don't want to talk to people who know too much because it's embarrassing to them when they don't know it and there is obviously a reason why this householder decided not to drink the Kool-Aid. I find they usually want to get as far away from me as fast as they can. The looks on their faces are priceless.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    can you be "apostate" if you've never been to a meeting nor basptized?

If they know, or even suspect, that you've gotten your information from an apostate source, they will be no more inclined to listen. As others have pointed out, use the society's own publications against them. It's your best weapon.

• dgp
    dgp

Thank you, dear people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit