Are You Still Interested in Looking for Truth?

by cameo-d 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Where did we come from? What are our origins? What has this life all been for? Is this all there is? Is there anything after this life? Can the truth ever be found?

Do any of you actually enjoy discussing Biblical topics that relate to ancient history, archeology, psychology, myths, etc.? Do you like digging through these subjects in order to validate, disprove, or discover new meaning (or even new speculations) to the cryptic writings we have?

Do you think we will ever know what truth is in this lifetime?

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I would like to know those answers. But, I'm quite disillusioned at the moment.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The truth about what? God? Even in the Bible it tells us that God is unknowable to us except as Christ.

If you know what Christ was all about, then that's most of the truth you need as far as the Biblical God is concerned. The rest of the truth about God or a Creator if you believe in one is found in nature itself. I leave it up to you to interpret your findings there.

If you're talking about truth in general, get a current set of encyclopedias and read a bit of them while you're on the john everyday.

Beats the Watchtower and Awake any day for truth. But probably not for when you run out of toilet paper. They were better before they went glossy though. I had a lady who always took the mags way back then, and finally I asked her why and she said they were great for starting her fireplace in the morning. Finally, someone who got some real use out of the things!

It was my love of scientific truth and historical truth I found in encyclopedias first, and then in other books that led me away from the WTS, though. It was the local public library and then the evil internet where I found they were treating me like a mushroom. Always in the dark and feeding me bullshit.

• dgp
    dgp

Personally, yes, I would like to know. Only I expect it to be the real thing, not alternative explanations.

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

I too find myself very disillusioned at the moment....but I enjoy having different discussions with my friend sighco about the meanings of various scriptures and such.

I haven't really takent the time yet to focus my energies on looking for A truth, if there is such a thing.

• viva
    viva

Indeed. That is why I am a scientist (geologist).

Thanks to advances in science, the average 1st grader knows more than any of the bible writers. A basic education and willing observation will teach you a lot.

I only look into scripture when I have to for discussion purposes. Like I said, a first grader could tell you more truths than the bible can.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I find the Bible useful in some ways, but not any more so than any of the other books of other religions. They all were written by people and since people are fundamentally the same in many ways in their thinking, you'll find a lot of the same basic thoughts.

That's probably why I'm a Universalist. When I can learn the same things from all the big religions and philosophies in spite of their obvious differences, I figure it's all coming from the same place.

Inside of us. I found it's better to look inward than outward for spiritual truth, but for information, use an encyclopedia, listen, read and learn all you can about the world around you from everything and everyone that you can.

Show me what a person believes in and it tells me more about them than about God, though. There's your clue. Spirituality comes from humans. That's not a bad thing. It's just an innate part of us that we need not to let run amuck and get scary and harmful.

Oh and we need to quit telling other people how to express something that comes from within themselves. That makes no sense at all. It's like me telling you what your favorite color is. It's a purely subjective thing.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Q.Where did we come from?

I don't know,where were you born? But for general purposes, Earth is a good answer.

Q.What are our origins?

I have one word for you... Fossils. Yep, we have fossils of all the long dead things we're related to waaaay back. Very interesting, go look. It doesn't answer everything, but it's a decent clue.

Q.Is this life all there is?

None of will really know that until we're dead so it's kind of a paradoxical question. If there's nothing, it won't matter anyway, and if there is, well, there's nothing to worry about, unless you believe that nonsense about hell. Even then...hey, they're bound to have better parties. And big plus...none of those ignorant mean JWs in either place, only the nicer ones who will probably be relieved that they don't have to garden and sing Kingdom Melodies forever. Bonus!

Q. What has this life all been for?

Making more life (if you're into that), enjoying this one, and discussing whether there's an afterlife, learning interesting things, doing interesting things. It's not the goal, it's the journey. Or rather, don't be so focused on the goal that you forget to enjoy the journey.

Q. Can the truth ever be found?

Sorry, that "ultimate truth" thing is not only not possible for humans, (I'll get back to that) it's vastly overrated as a source of contentment.

How can you discover ultimate truth when you're a limited human being? The sum of what you do not know about the universe will always be infinitely greater than what you do not know. That doesn't mean you give up learning and discovering, but that you accept reasonable limitations of being what you are.

Just remember that you're a tiny being on a relatively small ball of dirt and gases that is rotating and revolving around a rather average sun on one of the sparsely populated arms of one of the millions of galaxies in the whole universe and you'll get an idea of your importance in the total scheme things. That's probably why we need to believe that God loves us. I would never say he doesn't, but hey...as a species, we do need to get over ourselves.

Being able to even ask those questions may be the most interesting things about us. Being able to answer them, well, your answers are as good and valid as mine, because we'll probably never know.

I'm guess I'm trying to say it's okay not to know all that because no one does, and if someone tells you that they do, they're trying to sell you something.

• smiddy
    smiddy

No No NO

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

And why do I answer so???

because nobody, past tense

present tense

future tense

can give you a definitive answer

smiddy