My Memorial Tonight

by jookbeard 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

JB - I don't doubt fo a minute that you behaved impeccably but I just don't get it. I still maintain that you left yourself open to a potentially difficult situation. What was your main objective?

Your protest is lost on these people, but if you feel that it helped you in some way, then great. Personally, a cheque for a million quid wouldn't tempt me.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

F/F; what potentially difficult scenario could it have envisaged? I'm a bit long in the tooth now for any scenario like that, I would walk away laughing never to be seen again. The whole reason of me going tonight was a silly,childish desire to have a play in the memorial partakers figures, nothing more then that.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I think if what you did had personal meaning to you then good for you! I hope you got what you wanted out of it.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

JB - The point is that the JWs could have seen this as someone taking the mickey out of something that is special to them - and of course crapola to us. There is the potential for embarrassment and being seen as a troublemaker - probably 'difficulty' wasn't the appropriate word. You can't predict what kind of reaction you would get.

We had someone do this in my old congo. They took the bread and wine and dissappeared sharpish. I thought at the time if they were brave enough to do that, why didn't they hang around to explain their actions? I might have have learned something a bit sooner!

I still think that these actions are not to be encouraged as it can reflect badly on the xjw community.

Thanks for stating your reasons, I appreciate your viewpoint, but as always with these debates I guess we all view things differently.

• Dnice
    Dnice

My experience was pretty good. It was the usual service but overall felt good about it. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of what Jesus did for us in my opinion.

D.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I don't see where Jookbeard did anything disruptive or disrespectful while he was there. It is a public meeting. They invite the public to attend. They pass around the bread and wine offering it to the public. If they don't want anyone to take what is offered to them then they shouldn't pass it around or they should come up with stricter guidelines to ensure that no one takes any of what is offered to them. It looks to me like Jook got some meaningful insights out of it.

• cattails
    cattails

My partaking tonight was done in full knowledge that I believe in Christ as my Savior, I also partook of the emblems in a quiet and dignified manner.

No one questioned me. There were April WTs on a table in the rear of the KH for people to take, I didn't take one, I get them at my KH back home.

Since I'm only visiting there's no reason to make a fuss and give an impression I'm dissatisfied with the WTS. I enjoyed it, it was a nice congregation!

The brother who gave the talk could have put anyone to sleep, with his whispery voice as he went through the outline of the talk.

The bread was so hard it was very difficult to chew. The wine was very dry, almost as dry as the bread. But to me these signified the flesh and blood

of my Savior and I'm glad I followed the command to remember his Sacrifice, which covers over all those who put faith in Him as the promised Messiah.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

F/F ; my partaking tonight was done quietly and respectfully in a dignified way and enabled me to fully appreciate the ransom of our Lord , I Left quietly and did nothing to draw any attention to myself, probably most of the cong would have been completely unaware of my partaking.

The way you reported on this thread does indeed sound dignified and probably did give a sense of closure for you.

For some reason, on the other thread I got an impression that things were being planned to intentionally disturb the group. That video clip that FreedomFighter referenced was flashing back in my mind - along with other disruptors who showed up when I was still active. Brenda was disruptive during the entire meeting and just seemed crass, rude and completely disrespectful.

Maintaining quiet dignity - while still making your point - is way more tolerable. That is, if someone has a driving need to be there.

Thanks for the follow-up report.

-Aude.

• dissed
    dissed

Jookbeard, interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm with Gayle, it also sounded a little like a final good-bye to the old life.

Symbolically saying they can no longer be using you, but you them.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Good for you Jook. That took a lot of courage. Glad you had a much more meaningful time after the event.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit