The Memorial, what is wrong with it.

by PSacramento 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
  • rocketman
    rocketman

One of my main problems with the Memorial, personally, was the absence of significance of it for non-partakers, who of course make up the vast majority, and at most Memorial meetings, they make up the entire audience. We all just sat there, heard the same talk every year, and passed the emblems in a meaningless ritual. There was a pronounced feeling of irony - 'you are here to celebrate the signifcance of Jesus' death, and yet you cannot participate'. The Memorial was in many ways the most frustrating meeting of the year.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

The way I see it is, as each person passes the wine and the bread by, they are saying in effect, no thank you to the body and blood (sacrifice) of our Lord. Or no thanks I'll do it myself.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

or, Deputy Dog, they are actually saying no thanks, we have our own channel we follow.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Isaac

I hear you, but "following" a channel, is doing it yourself isn't it?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Yeah, i guess it is. Or even worse, its doing it another man's way.

• Kobe
    Kobe

There is a Celtic Cult that every year at memorial time gather together and just pass around the bread and wine without partaking in them. They do this in rejection of Jesus and not accepting what he has done for us. This ceremony sounds very similar to what the witnesses do.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thanks for your views and the link Sylvia.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Sylvia, The NWT , and some other translations simply say the apostles in Luke 22:14...other translations say 12 apostles. Here is the literal translation: English (KJV) (Help) Strong's Root Form (Greek) Tense And g2532 ?a? kai when g3753 ?te hote the hour g5610 ??a hora was come, g1096 ????µa? ginomai he sat down, g377 ??ap?pt? anapipto and g2532 ?a? kai the twelve g1427 d?de?a dodeka apostles g652 ?p?st???? apostolos with g4862 s?? syn him. g846 a?t?? autos http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?t=KJV&b=Luk&c=22&v=14&x=28&y=13#conc/14

• snowbird
    snowbird

My pleasure, PSac.

Thanks, Isaac.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit