Why is it important for a person to be trustworthy?

by asilentone 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It is important for ME to be trustworthy because I value the trust others put in me.

Having worked with abuse survivors I realized what an honor it was to have earned the trust of people who had learned to trust no one.

Trustworthiness is more than not telling lies. It is a pattern of behavior that others can rely on. No one can do it perfectly. And life sometimes gets in the way. But as much as possible I think we need to meet our commitments and responsibilities. Many of those commitments ands responsibilities are never spoken. We shown that we are trustworthy when we behave responsibly towards others regardless of what happens. I'll give you an example:

When my mother caught my step-father sexually abusing me I expected her to be trustworthy and protect me. Instead she sent me away from the family and into foster care a five hour drive away. I didn't see my family for another 3 years. She says this was her way of protecting me. Keep him in the home and get rid of me.

Parents don't need to tell a child "I will care for you until you are grown." It is a given. My mother abandoned me when I was 9 and I didn't see her for almost 3 years. A year later she abandoned me again for another 3 years when she sent me to foster care. Its really hard to trust a person when they keep getting rid of you. And I'll tell you I spent a lot of years doing everything she wanted after that so she wouldn't get rid of me again. But she did.

If I was (remote possibility here) to reconnect with her I don't think I could ever trust her again. Sooner or later she would find some pretense to get rid of me again.

So I know what being untrustworthy does to a person. I don't ever want to be that type of person.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

yet another thread I killed

• asilentone
    asilentone

thats okay, now I am the thread killer as of right now.

• Terry
    Terry

My great grandmother once said to me: "You don't trust a person unless you'd be willing to leave them alone with your baby and all your money while you went away for a week."

Think about that one!

• snowbird
    snowbird

No, you are not.

Trustworthiness is important in all aspects of life in that for any relationship to last, trust must come first.

Sylvia

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

When you trust someone, you are placing your well-being in their hands, and that of those in your charge - to whatever extent it is that you are trusting them - if not you simply aren't engaged in the act of trusting them.

There are various aspects of trust. You may even doubt someone's words, but still find them so trusworthy (in spirit) that they would not put their own interests first, but care for your well-being as the primary concern - the spirit of trust, and not necessarily literal.

What can I say about Jwism? not much

• snowbird
    snowbird

Lady Lee, I'm so sorry for what you had to endure.

Our dad abandoned us, so I neither trust nor like men.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Lady Lee, I'm so sorry for what you had to endure.

Our dad abandoned us, so I neither trust nor like men.

Sylvia

• looloo
    looloo

is integrity the same as being trustwourthy ? a "friend" of mine once said to me "there is no integrity in the world " this same "friend " went on to rape my 13 year old daughter ! result: i will never trust anyone as long as i live !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit