Why is it important for a person to be trustworthy?

by asilentone 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• asilentone
  • tec
    tec

Because if you lie even once, people will doubt your credibility, even if you own up to it and apologize. If you lie more than once, and repeatedly, then you no longer have credibility.

And when you do have something truthful and important to say, no will believe you. No one will be able to turn to you if you are offering them comfort, because you are not a trustworthy source.

Tec

• White Dove
    White Dove

So society doesn't go to hell in a hand basket. By lying, you mess your life up and those of others. Then society dies.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If a person develops a pattern of initiatory fraud (that is, on a first-strike offensive basis), they will not be trusted later. And, since scams are so easily exposed online these days, one big scam is all it takes to ruin your reputation.

So strong is this effect (especially with the Internet) that I feel the Internet could take the place of the regulatory agencies. They might not fear fines and jail time to pass on their scams, but if they are exposed online, they are going to have a miserable time making any money with them. Ostracism is likely to result. And, if a person honestly puts out a bad product as the result of a mistake or trial and error, others will be able to avoid the same mistakes while the person is able to learn from such mistakes.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Trust is a key element in the foundation of any relationship. Without trust, the relationship will have issues and will very likely dissintegrate.

• tec
    tec

Well put, Heaven.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

So I can concentrate on evaluating their competence.

1. Do they think they speak the truth?

2. Are these correct in their assumptions?

• asilentone
    asilentone

Good comments so far, I appreciate them. Any more input?

• fokyc
    fokyc

The JW's have always made themselves out to be totally trustworthy, I used to believe them

The elders have now regularly lied to me about their own organisation; the whole organisation

is now NOT trustworthy. Even kind and honest (and gullible) JW's will be suspected of lying.

• asilentone
    asilentone

good point, fokyc!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit