How do you cope with Type II diabetes?

by linp24 12 Replies latest jw friends

• linp24
    linp24

Question for forum members who have Type II diabetes:

How do you cope with this disease? Do you have side effects from the medication? Does it impede upon your ability to live your life?

Thanks! Any info will be greatly appreciated.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I remember few posters that does have type II diabetes. I have very severe hypoglycemia, I was diagnosed as a teenager and few years ago, I took another blood test, I still do not have diabetes. I am 45. I always watch what I eat, drink, excercise, etc...... I think I started a thread about it a while back, let me look at it so you will take a look at my thread and it might help you.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I looked at all of my threads, I believe that I posted on someone's thread about Type II diabetes. If I can remember who started that thread, I will find it and post the link here.

• linp24
    linp24

Thank you asilentone.

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

I have recently been diagnosed with this, I take Metformin 500mg twice a day. But as for any symptoms, none whatsoever that I`ve noticed.

Infact it was only diagnosed in a blood test looking for something else, if it wasn`t for the blood test I wouldn`t have presented myself to my GP thinking I had Diabetes at all.

I`ve just been given the standard "take care in what you eat, exercise, cut down on the alcohol etc." but I haven`t been told I can`t eat/drink anything specific.

Regards

Paul Uk

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

I've been type 2 for about 6 years now...it's a whole new lifestyle. You have to learn to eat all over again. You watch what you eat 24/7 it's not something you can just do when you feel llike it...exercise is important also I have lost 15 pounds in the last 6 months and I didn't even try (not that I need to lose much weight)...

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/172474/1/Frozen-food-for-Hypoglycemics-and-Diabetics

I enjoyed this one, ASO.

If I don't eat regularly and prudently, my blood sugar will drop, also.

I almost passed out several times before I figured it out.

Sylvia

• linp24
    linp24

Thanks everyone for your comments.

zz and zero: Sounds like you guys are handling your situations well. I think maybe I can calm down a little now.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've had type 2 diabetes for 3 years now. I was taking 500 MG of metformin twice a day. Last fall I started getting careless with my diet, and my blood glucose went out of control. Now I'm on 500 MG metformin, but 4 pills a day instead of 2, and Januvia once a day.

Now I take a bit more care about what I eat. I try to eat a sweet potato instead of a regular potato. Lean meat, and plenty of vegetables. Fresh fruit instead of a fruit juice, but even that in moderation. I take vitamins, as metformin can slow the absorption of B12 and some people have B12 deficiencies as a result. Sugar free sodas only. I try to stick to foods that are low on the glycemic index.

Getting plenty of exercise is very important, and that's still my biggest weakness. I spend too much time in front of my computer.

W

• noni1974
    noni1974

I found out I'm Type 2 diabetic a couple of years ago. I went to the American Diabetes Associations website. There they have a forum with other diabetics. They give great advice. I also bought every book I could find on the subject.

I recommend

The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed By Gretchen Becker and Allison B. Goldfine

and

Diabetes for Dummies By Alan L. Rubin MD.

The new research is finding a low carb high protein diets to be very helpful in getting your blood sugar under control. Read these books and go to the American Diabetes Associations website to learn more. The most important thing I would recommend is to think about what you eat before you eat it. Also exercise is really important. Even just a half an hour of walking per day will help control your blood sugar.

I got my blood sugar under control and back into the normal range in less that 3 months using the advice in both the books and the ADA's website. I also listened to my doctor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit