Abaddon - Re: WASPs

by borgfree 37 Replies latest jw friends

• jst_me
    jst_me

What about the nations that originally owned the lands on this continent? Did they just give up all rights to these lands? Did they welcome all these WASP-y people into the "new world" and allow them to settle where-ever they pleased with no second thought? Did the things that happened to my relations 200+ years have no impact on the political and social climate of people today?

History is alot more complicated than we have been taught.

Also, looking at historical issues that affect how people live today is truly using the same black-and-white thinking that the JWs taught us to use for all those years.

Oh yeah...and hey Abaddon!

• LDH
    LDH

JM,

What happened is 'progress.' Whether or not you realize, ALL ethnicities have at one time been victimized.

This time it was the black and native people's turn.

It's happened in Australia, with the Aboriginals. ('Cos I'm Free ring a bell witcha?)

It's happening NOW in Basque separatist Spain.

Someone will win, someone will lose.

That's the way of the world.

I don't know who 'your relations' are, as you didn't specify, but suffice it to say, I probably have some of the same 'relations' in my family tree.

As far as 'owning' the land, the Native peoples never even had the concept of land ownership as we know it. So, no, they never gave up ownership as they never 'had it.' They DID have their rights to move freely around this land forcefully taken from them.

Our government has the 'Bureau of Indian Affairs' office to try to right some wrongs as best they can.

I wonder, what would happen at the proposal of a Bureau of the Offspring of Forcefully Repatriated Africans Now Residing in America Affairs office? BWA HA HA

Yep. It's kinda outrageous, all those wrongs can NEVER be righted (unless yer, say, the Japanese and you got your $10,000 repayment, LOL [8>]).

That's just the way of the world. And no, it isn't fair. Neither is life.

Lisa

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

ah-hem.

Mr LDH.

What do you mean when you say:
    "It is happening in Australia right now"
    Please explain WHAT is happening.

amendment.
    okay, re read it.
    says it happening in spain now.
    forget the question LDH.

• LDH
    LDH

Hey RF,

I won't tell a SOUL that you didn't read my post accurately.

I said, it happened in Australia.

Lisa

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I already withdrew the question.
    Wadda ya wanna do???
    Humiliate me more????

• LDH
    LDH

RF--

Dincha see I posted my response before you posted yer retraction?!?!

Lisa

• borgfree
    borgfree

Hi jst_me,

Is this really your first post after all of those months? If it is WOW something finally hit your hot button.

About all of those nations that owned the lands on this continent. Throughout history, you cannot just claim to own the land, you must be able to keep it and defend it. That is just the hard reality of life. The "nations" that had this continent were not able to do that.

I am not sure what your relations are/were. Whatever peoples were here before, during, and after must have had an impact to at least some extent on the way this country is.

I am not sure that all of the impact was for the best, as far as the survival of this country is concerned. Even in my lifetime, I have seen people want to be a part of this country, and yet have their own culture separate from the "American" culture. It looks like we are headed for a Bulkanization of this country, which will probably destroy it, at least as we know it now.

You said: "Also, looking at historical issues that affect how people live today is truly using the same black-and-white thinking that the JWs taught us to use for all those years."

It cannot be both ways. We either forget our past and work on our future or we use history to decide what we will do in the future, for example, there are people today demanding reparations for past wrongs, if we go down that road then it is only right to look at all of the counter arguments.

Someone might say, "ok, if we are to consider paying a people for past wrongs done to their ancestors maybe we should also consider charging the descendents of those people for all of the benefits they have received in this country's efforts to make up for past wrongs."

Black and white? maybe, but if we are to be fair then we MUST consider both black and white.

Borgfree

"Without knowledge there can be no genuine faith--only superstition on the one hand or speculation on the other" Robert Banks
  • refiners fire
    refiners fire

LDH.
    I know.
    Im just funnin with ya.

• borgfree
    borgfree

Ok then Lisa,

I'm all for slaves. I wont give up the chocolate. So I'm on the hook, guess I'll have to live with that. (In reality, I only eat the chocolate aquired by the 20%)

I can't go along with your ethnic pride thing, it would be too long of a list in my case. My fathers side were mongrols. I wouldn't even be able to remember his tree. My grandfathers last wife was Jewish. That is not in my blood line though, not that I know of at least.

I think I made a mistake on my grandmother, she was full blooded American Indian and she was Cherokee but maybe not full blooded Cherokee. Still want to give me that plane?

Borgfree

"Without knowledge there can be no genuine faith--only superstition on the one hand or speculation on the other" Robert Banks
  • jst_me
    jst_me

I am Cherokee. I know my nation's history, and what my grandmothers went through to preserve what has been preserved until now. I would never say that they lived in horrid conditions at contact (Indian nations had a better standard of living than any of the European nations at that time), nor would I say that the reasons our lands were lost to the Americans is because we couldn't hold them. It is alot more complicated than that.

For whoever said that Indian people had no concept of land ownership, from an anglo-European standpoint I guess that was true. It just shows how much you know about American history.....the history of governments and nations being active on this continent goes back thousands of years....not the mere 250 years of WASP presence.

I agree that our country is being pulled apart...but that is because those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Until the injustices that were handed out to our people are brought to light, until people recognize that there are consequences for enslaving people and attempting to erase the memory of people in order to preserve some silly american mission statement....this country will never be able to unite. It is as simple as that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit