One year in jail for JW man who circumcised son at home

by behemot 31 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

tenyearsafter -

Agreed, but it still is embarrassing, nonetheless. People non-JW's, will read this and think them to be somewhat more wacked than usual. And because of the subject matter, won't EVEN bring it up at the door, so the JW's can defend themselves.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

This guy is obviously crazy.

The WT does not endorse circumcision as giving anybody "special protection" from God, nor iced-cream.

I am more worried about the widely accepted INSTITUTIONALISED genital mutilation carried out quite legally on young boys, and that performed on young girls. Those perpetrating it are neither insane, nor charged under the law.

HB

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I read about this in Harpers, where they had the court transcript. The reasoning this guy used was eerily similar to reasoning all hard-core believers use.

• dissed
    dissed

Its funny Hamsterbait, but that's what I said when I heard the JW's were hiding 'Child Molesters' in the congregations. "No way, the JW's wouldn't do that!" Man, was I proved wrong.

In this case, the guy is definately off, but.....it's not surprising to see a JW do something like this. They have no problem sacrificing their own children over blood issues. This guy is just a product of the religion and their warped reasoning.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Something doesn't seem right...one commenter claims this guy is a former JW. I'm a little bit more inclined to believe that he was a former JW, but regardless, this guy is insane and needs to be kept from hurting others.

• jordan12
    jordan12

First of all, he wasn't even a Jehovah's Witness.

"Court has heard that D.J.W.'s mother raised him as a Jehovah's Witness, but he left the church. Court has heard he believes circumcisions are required for religious reasons." (http://www.theprovince.com/health/bungled+circumcision+should+jailed+Crown/2722398/story.html)

Secondly, even if he was, so what? It's blatantly obvious that Jehovah's Witnesses don't require circumcision, (especially not do-it-yourself circumcision at home) and therefore this man's actions contradict Jehovah's Witnesses teachings.

Posting something like this just reveals how bigoted some people are. Some are so like their own distorted caricatures of Jehovah's Witnesses that it's almost spooky.

And then to comment that it was the congregation's responsibility because "there must have been some kind of warning signs that the dad wasn't the full picnic". What were they supposed to do? Take the kid away from the father?

Like many who post here, this guy was an ex-Witness. Should I tout it as proof of what weirdos ex-Witnesses are? Would that be reasonable?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

If this is the same guy in Harper's Magazine, he converted to Judaism, but was basically kind of nuts.

• RR
    RR

RR is crossing his legs "ouch!"

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

Crazy, crazy man....god, I hope he gets a considerable amount of time in prison for this.

• wary
    wary

I know of entire witness families that routinley circumsize their male children. These families have great grand parents, grand parents and parents that are all witnesses, Its unspoken but I know they think it puts them in a better position before god. One even called his child 'Taze' for christs sake.

Its mutilation in my opinion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit