One year in jail for JW man who circumcised son at home

by behemot 31 Replies latest jw friends

• behemot
    behemot

One year in jail for Metro Vancouver man who circumcised son at home

By ANDREA WOO, VANCOUVER SUN March 25, 2010 Comments (46) METRO VANCOUVER -- A Metro Vancouver man who circumcised his four-year-old son at home with a razor blade and blood coagulant meant for horses has been sentenced to one year in jail followed by two years probation.

In April 2007, the man, identified only as DJW due to a publication ban, gave his son, DJ, honey wine before placing him on garbage bags on the kitchen floor. DJW then cut away the boy's foreskin with a razor blade.

As his son cried, the man sprinkled on him Wonder Dust, a blood coagulant meant for horses.

According to a summary of the case in Justice Marion Allan's October 2009 ruling, DJW, a Jehovah's Witness, had told DJ the procedure would grant him "extra special protection from God." DJW told DJ he would be allowed to eat Passover lamb and ice cream and to pick all the movies he wanted for a week.

DJ eventually had to be taken to hospital, where the circumcision was completed.

DJW initially claimed a religious exemption but dropped the argument based on the judge's finding that the procedure wasn't performed with reasonable care, his former lawyer, Doug Christie told The Vancouver Sun in October.

In late 2004 or early 2005, DJW circumcised himself, using Band-Aids, peroxide and a roll of gauze and a clear plastic ring, which he believed would act as an anesthetic. The procedure left his penis infected.

DJW was sentenced Thursday morning.

On Wednesday, prosecutor Daniel Porte called for a jail term of between 12 and 24 months followed by three years probation.

source: http://www.vancouversun.com/year+jail+Metro+Vancouver+circumcised+home/2726695/story.html

• finallysomepride
  • alanv
    alanv

This really turned my stomach just thinking about him performing this.

And yet presumably this happened all the time in olden times, particularly with the Jews.

Surely there must have been problems then on a much grander scale.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

what a sicko. I hope his wife left him and took the boy.

lisa

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hope this is one year in jail plus deserved embarrassment for the witlesses. They take the Old Testament too damn seriously--I thought the law on circumcision was supposed to have been done away with. Besides, you are not talking about curing cancer with pills or a tea that might at worst do nothing. You are talking surgery--which carries the risk of infections. And the blood coagulator carries the risk of blood clotting, which could carry the risk of stroke and heart attack. Blood coagulator meant for horses, at that--these dodos are definitely not competent to do even fingernail surgery, let alone something like this.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "...a Jehovah's Witness, had told DJ the procedure would grant him "extra special protection from God.""

So... if this is true... there is more than one loose nut (other than DJ) up there. What box of Corn Flakes did they fall out of?

Jeepers! Surgery?

Regards,

Jim TX

• dissed
    dissed

Thought this was a joke until I clicked on the link.

Were there 'two witnesses' to the crime? Otherwise, nothing will happen to him in the congregation.

• undercover
    undercover

In this new age of enlightment (the Internet age) most people who are bright enough to do a little on-line research are going to stay away from groups like the JWs which leaves the religion to appeal to people who aren't quite right.

As more and more news stories of JWs behaving badly break, it's apparent that there is a shift in who is starting to make up the core of the followers. There are plenty of people left who aren't wacko sure, but as they die off and their children leave because they're not afraid of the Internet, the attraction of this religion is going to be on less stable people.

Maybe the Russians are right...ban the crazy cults...

• dissed
    dissed

According to a summary of the case in Justice Marion Allan's October 2009 ruling, DJW, a Jehovah's Witness, had told DJ the procedure would grant him "extra special protection from God." DJW told DJ he would be allowed to eat Passover lamb and ice cream and to pick all the movies he wanted for a week.

I can just imagine a GB member reading his morning paper and seeing this story then exclaiming, "What the F***!!?"

This would surely make for a "wanta get away" moment for the GB. This is the not the publicity the WT likes to see.

• JWoods
    JWoods

At first I thought it was a joke, too. But the news source looks real.

And at first I actually felt a little sorry for the WTS to have such a nut case loose and caught in the headlines - except:

They really have made such a big deal over circumcision over the years in the magazines (not requiring it religiously, but in just about every other way pretty much saying it is the right thing to do) - and their notorious disregard for mental disorders and treatment for members with obvious problems - maybe they do share some blame in this.

Well, one more "famous JW" for Lady Lees list. (BY INITIALS ONLY, OF COURSE)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit