Turning in time?

by crazy2try 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Jordon,

You need to remember than many many people have been hurt by the Watchtower Society’s teachings, if not by individuals (particularly elders), and they have a great deal of anger and disappointment towards the JWs.

People have been hurt by the lies the WTS has told, the pedophile abuse scandals, the unloving ways JWs have acted, family shunning and many many other reasons.

Thus, they will speak out against the WTS in negative tones.

Sorry if you don’t like it, but maybe you have to walk in our shoes before you will ever understand.

• teel
    teel

Jordan, don't forget that this board is made up of individuals with very wide palette of oppinions. One might miss the elder's visit, the other might be bothered for example. Of course you can't please everyone, so that's part of the reason why you might see opposing views about the WTS.

Generalization, name calling, slander and so on, that you are accusing people on this board can all be found in Watchtower publications. Just look at the articles talking about "apostates", "worldly", and so on. This doesn't mean at all that it's acceptable by any party. It only means we're all imperfect humans, us on the board, and even the Watchtower writers. Yet there's one major difference between the majority of the people here, and Watchtower leaders: the forum users don't demand that you accept their oppinion. We have everything from devout beliver in God to atheist, to even satanists. All are welcome here, and generally as a board we try not to judge.

Now, the devout JWs are a bit different kind of animal (don't be offended, I'm just being informal ). As Broken Promises said above, the majority of us have been deeply hurt by the Society, and are feeling the psychological trauma caused by the WTS day by day. If someone comes here and defends them, we might get a bit touchy. Think of it like you were raped and beaten, and someone else would come and casually protect the raper, saying how nice of a person he is. That said, you are more than welcome, just don't expect "love bombing". If you find strength in you, please join in any conversation and filter out the responses that are too subjective.

As for me I think the JWs as persons can be nice persons, just like followers of any other religion. The problem is not in the persons, it's the highly controlling environment they're in. They have rules for technically every aspect of the life, down to minutiae. This highly hinders the expression of, and acts of true love.

Case in point, the elders wanted to come visit me. I asked them to send just one elder to have a friendly conversation with. Four months have passed and they debated over it, but it simply did not fit in their rulebook. Finally one elder showed actual christian love, ignored the decision, and came to visit me alone in an informal context. I know the other elders too, and they are not bad people. Day by day I have to struggle to remind myselft: it's not the JWs as persons, they are only forced to behave like this.

Oh, and btw, "mind control" is a very real and existing thing, accepted by psychologists as a working technique. I'd suggest you read general psychology books related to mind control - being general you won't find any reference to JWs, yet you might be surprised to find that the techniques match so well. Steven Hassan's "Combatting Cult Mind Control" is a good starting point, but if you want something not religion specific, I found Kathleen Taylor's "Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control" a very good book. It details even the biology behind the mind control mechanisms.

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

Jordan, I apologize, I haven't been on line for a few days. It is late now, but I wanted to say that I read your whole post and really enjoyed it. I agree with much of what you have said and do understand your point of view. I wish I had more time to write, but will come back soon. Off the top of my head Jordan, just like there is such a variety of Brothers and Sisters in the org, we have the same here in the forum. Some have been really hurt by what they have been through and many are living testiments to the going ons within the org. I agree I have known and still do know many fine brother's and sisters who would never lie about their time, or say a cross word to anyone, and seemed very happy in their work. I always admired them and wanted to be like them. But I could not find the joy that they have, I went to every meeting, commented, went out in service, brought my children, struggled to teach them, but the encouragment from the stage that I got was do more, do more. I started to actually feel sick sitting there. There were moments I really felt like I was praising Jehovah, but it was during the songs. I began to feel like I was going to cry during each song. When I drive to work everyday, I see a beautiful sunrise and feel I can give more praise to him in those few moments then I can give in a whole meeting.

I feel the meetings should be a time where we praise God continuously and remind each other of the love that he has shared for us. I don't hear it. I don't see it. Even when you mentioned what we sent to Haiti, I am sorry, I had already started to fade, but I remember the assistence we sent to New Orleans. When I heard that we could send fellow brothers and sisters, I was so excited. Both my husband and I are medically trained, but they announced that only certain bro and sis would be allowed to go, devastated me. I knew I wouldn't qualify. And when years ago they did the same for the quick builds. Only qualified bro and sis can go in good standing. I remember as a child, that was a wonderful experience and I helped my mom pass out water to the brothers. Things have changed, at least for me. I need to feel like I am praising God, not be reminded that I need to do more.

Sorry I went off in a diff direction, Like I said I am tired and it is late. I will check back in and chat another time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit