Turning in time?

by crazy2try 42 Replies latest jw friends

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I have a problem. My hubby and I are tying to fade out completely, but we ran into a snag. My in-laws showed up with a stack of time slips and said that they will turn them in for us if we fill them out. There are 8 of them for each of us. 8 for me and 8 for my hubby. We haven't been to a meeting in over 6 months. We did have a really nice brother stop by to check on us about 4 months ago. Just a sweet guy, who has been a friend of the family for years. But he is the only one. My in-laws attend all the time and are wonderful people and have left us alone about our decision to not go to the meetings. But I think they were pressured to bring the slips to us.

What do I do? If I refuse to fill them out, are they going to show up at the door demanding them.

Both my hubby and I agree that it is non of their business if I talk about God or not. Let that be between me and him. So I don't want to do it,but I don't want them showing up at our door. But I also don't want them to think ohhh this works, lets send the slips home with the in-laws and they can just get them.

Any of you want to tell me how you quit turning in time. I need some advice.

Thanks

Crazy2try

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

The "fade" can be difficult with friends and family close by...You could fill them out with dummy hours but you would be expected to continue to turn them in...if you don't expect the knock on the door from the Elders...If it's a matter of not wanting to lose contact with your family you are just going to have to continue to live the lie and turn in the time slips...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Fill out fake time slips--this is yet another reason why I don't believe they actually have more than 7 million witlesses. You are going to have to fill out the slips. Report a moderate amount of time--too much, and you will be hounded for "privileges". Too little, you will be hounded to put in more field circus. Then, find some site to report the number of fake time slips you had to turn in so the actual number they publish can have them deducted from the accurate totals.

I estimate that, out of the 7.3 million they reported for the 2009 circus year, fewer than 3 million were neither coerced, forced, or faked. Many were fakes, like yours. Others were children that were forced in field circus or other people that had to do field circus or else.

• jordan12
    jordan12
    Fill out fake time slips--this is yet another reason why I don't believe they actually have more than 7 million witlesses. You are going to have to fill out the slips. Report a moderate amount of time--too much, and you will be hounded for "privileges". Too little, you will be hounded to put in more field circus. Then, find some site to report the number of fake time slips you had to turn in so the actual number they publish can have them deducted from the accurate totals.

This comment is paradoxically a very honest admission of the commenter's untruthfulness and dishonesty and would be useful to bear in mind when evaluating how trustworthy his other posts are.

I say if you don't want to be a Witness you should do the honorable thing and tell the truth about it instead of remaining in the congregation as imposters on false pretenses.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Continuing to report my family study time caused a lot of problems for me when I stopped going.

Would have been better if I had just stopped emailing in my 'report'.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This comment is paradoxically a very honest admission of the commenter's untruthfulness and dishonesty and would be useful to bear in mind when evaluating how trustworthy his other posts are.

I say if you don't want to be a Witness you should do the honorable thing and tell the truth about it instead of remaining in the congregation as imposters on false pretenses.

Ad hominem isn't necessary in order to make a point. I know it is the Watchtower way but get over that please if you want to have productive conversations here.

As for the implication that fading is dishonest, Theocratic Warfare Strategy teaches us that some people do not deserve the truth and that it is perfectly ok to lie to them to protect the spirituality of ourselves and others. Fading does that. Many stay in the borg because of the threat of shunning by family and friends and with the hope of enlightening others to the truth. The victims of the cult have been lied to for almost a century and a half and indoctrinated to avoid and shun the blunt honesty your post would seem to recommend. Fudging a time sheet (which rank and file Dubs already do all the time) isn't an unforgivable sin when the intention is fading and helping others escape the borg.

Hey 5th generation, what sort of problems happened by continuing to report the family study? I'm at this point, too, and would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

jordan12:

Attacking WTW is bogus. A lot of people do what they have to do to keep their family. As secretary I knew a lot of people were lying about their reports.... and I never hounded them to turn it in. Or those 1 hour reports .... I knew they were just turning in enough to keep themselves off the inactive/irregular list.

The cult forces this kind of untruthfulness. And encourages it in its members when it suits their purposes.

So jordan...get off your high horse.

Snakes (Rich )

• teel
    teel

Do this: put a big 0 on the report, and mail it directly to the secretary. Then tell the in-laws you sent it by yourself. If they ask the secretary, he'd have to say yes, he got the report, yet he can't tell what was on it.

• blondie
    blondie

Just tell them you have no time to turn in and if you filled out those forms you would be lying and they certainly don't want you to lie...........

In my first time of inactivity, the only time I heard from an elder was when they called for my time, they said they would fill out the slip for me and I hadn't been to a meeting in months. I would just say I had no time to turn in; they would try to convince me that I must have talked about God for an hour that month; I would just repeat that I had no time to turn in another time then say I had to hang up I had an appointment. The problem is when people drop by. Just let them know that it is your responsibility and you are handling it yourself. If they persist, you know them better than I do, but I would gently send them out the door and go to Shopko.

Love, Blondie

• Think About It
    Think About It

Turn it around on them. Tell them you got to thinking about the concept of turning in "time slips" and the whole thing just seemed too silly for Jesus to be apart of. How could anyone defend time slips after that? If they talk about it reports the witnessing work, turn that around in them by mentioning people could put fake hours down or that very little time is actually spend talking to anyone. It's not in the Bible, it's silly and you aren't doing it anymore.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit