Does the new Catholic scandal help or hurt in exposing the WT abuse scandals?

by undercover 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• blondie
    blondie

Rutherford was a big-time Catholic hater and the WT pubs from his time reflect that. Knorr moderated it some but it is still there.

• dgp
    dgp

I think all three things will happen, only not with the same people. Some will go for option #1, some other for number 2, yet some others for number 3, and the occasional nuts will go for all at the same time.

• jordan12
    jordan12
    So in this latest scandal my bet would be that Witnesses who are NOT aware of similar issues within the Society would say something along the lines of "it just proves that Catholics are a false religion" (ie #1), and Witnesses who ARE aware of similar issues within the Society would say something along the lines of "oh, all religions are made up of imperfect humans" (ie #2).

I don't think that's reasonable or fair at all. The point is not whether pedophilia takes place in a church, it's what the church does about it.

Of course pedophilia can happen in any religion. But Catholic priests were simply transferred to other dioceses, whereas every Witness in a position of responsibility proved to be doing anything immoral with children has lost his privileges, if he was not disfellowshipped.

By the way it handles child-abuse cases, the Catholic church has proved to be morally bankrupt. Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, have the strictest child protection policies of any religious organization and probably much lower rates of child abuse too.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

My hope would be that this would raise awareness on a broader level to the fact that Religions enjoy waaaay too much protection/exemption from secular/societal laws. "Give all things to Caesar..." should include being subject to all of "Caesar's laws" and not being able to hide behind "but we're a religious organization so <such and such> doesnt apply to us".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I think it once again brings the ugly topic to the attention of the public in a general sense. We cannot forget that the news-glutted public has a short memory and needs to be reminded from time to time.

If the JWs want to point the finger and say: "look at THEIR problem....." Many fingers will point back at them and say: "what about YOURS?"

So, I think this publicity is a good thing.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I agree with this....

The point is not whether pedophilia takes place in a church, it's what the church does about it.

But Jordan12, are you serious......?

Of course pedophilia can happen in any religion. But Catholic priests were simply transferred to other dioceses, whereas every Witness in a position of responsibility proved to be doing anything immoral with children has lost his privileges, if he was not disfellowshipped.

I think you need to do a bit more reading. This site is a good starting point. Search the threads started by Barbara Anderson, ex Brooklyn Bethel Writing Department member, to kick off.

I can't do your work for you but here you go, let me make it easier for you.... http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/member/18048/started/1

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

i think it helped.....

Focus on the subject in any form keeps it in the public eye.

kimberlee d norris

attorney at law

[email protected]

• blondie
    blondie

So you know Kimberlee's connection with WTS abuse cases:

http://www.lovenorris.com/verdicts.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit