Does the new Catholic scandal help or hurt in exposing the WT abuse scandals?

by undercover 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• JWoods
    JWoods

As a side point, I remember that I was a JW but was questioning the JW system back when the Jim Jones Guyana mass killing took place.

It really made me focus on all the cult-like things that we were doing as JWs - however, none of the faithful witnesses were really much moved to investigate their own position in a high-control religion. There was even an article in the Awake about how bad the peoples temple was IIRC.

So, I guess that the Catholic scandal would also be viewed by good JWs as just another great example of how horrible babylon the great is - provided of course that they hear anything about it.

• minimus
    minimus

i just felt the need to post something here. ok, all done.

• undercover
    undercover

Thank you, my red dot friend...

I feel much better now that you've added to my insignificant thread...

• littlebird
    littlebird

I feel much better now that you've added to my insignificant thread...

Your thread is not insignificant. I'm pretty vocal about this topic on the colorado springs exjw meetup. I get emails all the time from witnesses coming out of the organization asking about the scandals. They never heard about it. You never know who could be lurking at your thread, Under Cover, and something they read here may jolt their thinking.

The wt, wants all their people to believe that theirs is a pure organization, and if there is something wrong, they will protect us. There's probably more dirt hid under the rug than we may ever know. I appreciate your thread.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There's another scandal? I really should watch the news more often.

W

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I think the great tribulation is beginning. This will lead to widespread anger against organized religion and then Armageddon will come. I don't know if I'm kidding or not! It has crossed my mind more than a few times.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Good question...

I think it will open up the conversation.

I mean come on... everyone knows how much the JW's love it when the Catholic Church gets some bad press!!

Problem is, if they start talking about the scandal it opens the door for those who know about the settlements to chime in about the fact that JW's also have a problem.

For me personally I think my JW friends and family are going to keep me off the forward list on their e-mails about this great new scandal because if they don't I will gladly remind them of what happened to my child and my family right in their happy spiritual Paradise.

• inbetween
    inbetween

some witnesses here go crazy about it, how bad the RC is, and so on...

Whenever possible, I try to tell them not to point the finger, things like that happen with JW too....I usually get a big surprised look...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

#3..Or is the WTS/JWs just so insignificant that no one really gives a shit,

except those who have suffered at their hands?

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

See, Jehovah's Witnesses have a conflicted relationship with the Catholic Church. On one hand #1 they condemn the Church in writing and from the podium and do everything they can to point out how different the (little pimple of an) organization is from the Catholics. (Eg. rituals, doctrines, history, hierarchy, papalism, etc.)

Then, when it suits them, they #2 use Catholic examples to illustrate that the JW religion isn't really a cult. (Eg. believe in Jesus and the bible, disfellowshipping/excommunication, preaching/missionaries, etc.)

So in this latest scandal my bet would be that Witnesses who are NOT aware of similar issues within the Society would say something along the lines of "it just proves that Catholics are a false religion" (ie #1), and Witnesses who ARE aware of similar issues within the Society would say something along the lines of "oh, all religions are made up of imperfect humans" (ie #2).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit