"We're not here to convince you this is the truth."

by sd-7 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7
    I feel that the organization made out like they were interested in truth with a capital T while we were coming in and now that we know enough to make corrections to THEM they pull rank.

Indeed. "How dare you try to correct us? We taught you everything you know!" is the company line. I guess it goes like, "But I to Apollos," "But I to Cephas", "But I to the 'faithful slave'". Same deal. Being taught by this particular group is no cause for arrogance. (1 Corinthians 4:1-7) Oh, I forgot--the elders denied any arrogance on the part of the 'slave class'. It's easy to deny everything if you're in charge.

Well...I'm really just sorry I didn't find this out 9 years ago. Believe it or not, I did run into 'exit-counseling' sites on a Google search 9 years ago. I thought it was a load of rubbish and didn't click on the links, although in the back of my mind, I heard a whisper. "If you were to leave this religion, you'd need exit counseling..."

It seems logical that, knowing the information is out there, a person or group interested in defending its truth would write a serious rebuttal, presenting the evidence, be it scripture or Watchtower article or whatever, to refute anyone who claims something is wrong. But instead, they simply say, we don't need to answer to you! If there's a problem, God will fix it, HIS way, not yours! They seem to forget that it was often THROUGH fellow Christians that God helped to make the truth more clear, in the first century, not through secret meetings of a few people and 2/3 majority votes. Holy spirit worked through individuals in different ways and might've shown one thing to one brother or sister that was not shown to another. That's where brotherhood comes in. Equals, no head, no foot.

But hey, what do I know?

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Perhaps they should read again Jude 22

Thank you, BluesBrother. That scripture did say CONTINUE showing mercy to some that have doubts. That, I should think, would require more than 3 meetings lasting a total of 5 hours, tops, where very little scriptural discussion actually occurs.

They aren't there to convince you because they know they cannot.

Sums it up, BabaYaga. Most of the 'convincing' revolves around staying in 'the organization' because 'where else is there to go?' How about 'anywhere but here' if we're not teaching the truth as we so loudly claim to do?

The WBT$ and the JW Cult are Religious Gangsters..

For once, OUTLAW, we're on the same page. "I try to get out, and they keep pulling me back in!" It really is a mob scenario. You want out, you get out in a metaphorical body bag. Cause of death: doesn't matter.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

sd, some young guy I know who keeps in touch says I should have used the congregation for what it was worth to me. I told him I was there for the truth, not for socialization. In any case, for me it was always a one-way street. No one ever had anything interesting to say about the scriptures and as far as I could see no one even cared. It's like entering the Borg created a series of exercises which if you were to engage in them with all due speed and seriousness you'd come to a door which said, "Exit". I suspect a number have come to that door and just turned around and went back. My wife and I decided to just go through the door. I came in an atheist, and out a biblically aware agnostic. I can't see any defensible position except agnosticism. I used to be a JW agnostic. Now I'm just an agnostic.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

In the Christian church world, convincing others of the truth is the actual job description of a shepherd:

"Some church members, by misunderstanding Hebrews 13:17, may be intimidated into remaining within a church that they otherwise might have been led out of by guidance from the Holy Spirit.

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you. (Hebrews 13:17)

Yet, the wording, "obey your leaders and submit to them" is best understood in the Greek as, "be convinced [by the theology] of your leaders and surrender [to their teaching]." It would be inappropriate to use this passage to attempt to argue that pastors can command obedience in all matters of life, such as who to marry or which church to attend. They are Bible teachers and spiritual counselors, not governors, police officers, or legislators. As they convince us of godly living from the pages of God’s Word, so we submit to Christ’s written commandments that we may live holy and productive lives. " (quote from: http://thefaithfulword.org/leavingchurch.html )

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Outlaw,

Your post is so funny and so true. They are like religious gangsters! The only way out to them is dead.

It is scary to think what they would be like if they had REAL power.

• sd-7
    sd-7

LongHairGal--it's an even funnier coincidence that that was post # '1984' for you. Big Brother lives on..."B...B! B...B!! B...B!!"

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SD-7,

You are right, it is a coincidence. I certainly did not knowingly realize it was post 1984 and my topic fit in with the theme! That was some book.

• Diamonds
    Diamonds

"The elders were willing to spend less time to save one sheep than an average publisher would spend in field service for one month. Or even half a month".

I'd never thought about it like that before, but it's true. Where is the love?

p.s. has anybody watched the judicial committee that was secretly recorded and has been uploaded onto youtube?

• Diamonds
    Diamonds

The elders were willing to spend less time to save one sheep than an average publisher would spend in field service for one month. Or even half a month.

I'd never thought about it like that before, but it's true. Where is the love?

p.s. has anybody watched the judicial committee that was secretly recorded and has been uploaded onto youtube?

• peaches
    peaches

SD7.....is your wife the girl you waited 3 years for to be reinstated??????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit