Help please - my wife wants a divorce

by IMHO 56 Replies latest social relationships

• IMHO
    IMHO

I thank you all (with just a couple of exceptions such as Robdar and Gregor) for your words.

I feel for those who say they are going through similar situations.

I admit my failings and appreciate them being pointed out and the encouragement to seek help myself.

SPAZnik I like your analogies. Unfortunately at the moment I see me wife as the oxygen mask. I need to get myself sorted but I fear in her words "it's too late".

I have a few weeks she says while we put the house on the market to see if I can get her to reconsider but she is adamant that she does not want to give me any hope that she will and says she cannot believe for a moment that I will change her mind.

She's changed. For all the years I've known her, she's been the kindest most selfless person I've ever known. Not just with me, with whoever she comes in contact. Everyone has always commented on the fact that she is always smiling. She says she's been a people-pleaser her whole life and now it's time to think about herself and what she wants.

flipper I married later in life (mid 30s) my wife was a lot younger so new pastures for me are less likely not that I could even consider them anyway at the moment, if ever.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

How about go take care of yourself and leave yourself the option of coming back stronger to win her back later? Whatever you have to tell yourself to get rolling and do what needs doing. I agree that if you love someone you'll set them free. Be gentle with yourself. It might help you feel some compassion for her too.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    She's changed. For all the years I've known her, she's been the kindest most selfless person I've ever known. Not just with me, with whoever she comes in contact. Everyone has always commented on the fact that she is always smiling. She says she's been a people-pleaser her whole life and now it's time to think about herself and what she wants.

Gee, I wonder why she changed. Surely you had nothing to do with it?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

My guess about the 'change' you've noticed in your wife: She has grown up, is realizing her own mortality, and had an awakening that her life is a result of her own doing (allowing other people to dump excessive loads on her). She's decided that she wants more for her life and it's up to her to make something more happen.

Growth is part of life. In doing for others, she has neglected her own needs and her own growth.

I don't know her, but seen similar situations MANY times.

Sounds like you need a counsellor that you can speak freely with. I think you will find counselling extremely helpful as you transition into your own new life.

-Aude.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I'd say ;good luck;, but I know better with some of this crowd. ....prayer, lots of prayer asking God for answers. You would due better with prayer than with any advice I could give you on such a personal matter. We should all pray for you now. Think of everyone reading these posts praying for your intentions. Only good could come from such a thing, don;t ya think?

dc

• Scott77
    Scott77

I think the advices given to IMHO is outstanding and sincerely. I do not know what to add. However, let me say that IMHO needs to realise that he is narrow focused at the moment. He needs to think at the big picture. He does not know that he can do better even more if he has gone through the divorce should it happens. Our success in life is more and more based on experiences we have been through over the years. Even alone without his wife, he can consult a professional counselor, an advise already suggested out. His counselor will map out all issues involved in his life, like lack of natural support, then focus on that. Good luck in everythings. We are here for you.

Scott77

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Instead of looking at this as a problem, perhaps consider looking at it as an OPPORTUNITY. An opportunity to do the most loving thing you've ever done for the woman that it sounds like has burnt herself out trying to caregive you, carrying you on her back for however many years. Let her set you down. Let her. I promise you it will be the most loving thing you could do for her right now. Go get another oxygen mask a real one, not a wife, not even a single person, perhaps a more structured healing organization, if that's the kind of support you already know that you need. Look at it as your chance to be loving (to both her and yourself) and at the same time selfless for the first time. Things only happen if there is also an opportunity or opportunities for a way out.

Oh, and one more suggestion. Ignore the word divorce. It really doesn't matter. From the day before she told you, to the day after she told you, nothing really changed. Things were always this way or headed this way based on your own choices. All that changed is your awareness. This is actually a step forward. It's up to you how you handle it from here. It speaks to your character now and has nothing to do with her. This is about you. Take a few slow deep breaths, and go call a crisis line if you have to. All you have to say is help. They will help you get your legs under you now and they will be better qualified.

Forgive your self for abusing your wife's frail humanity this way. Forgive your wife for being human and having a limit and a breaking point. And do the same for yourself. Be really really gentle about everything right now and just go slow if you are feeling resistant. It sounds like you don't have to do anything really and she will likely be handling the rest of the stuff. But now it's up to you to decide what you are willing to do FOR YOURSELF. It's not about your wife anymore. You can't use her as your excuse to hide anymore. You can finally seize this opportunity to show her love though. This is your chance to learn how to be who you really are instead of a mere shell of who you are.

Yes, it's scary as hell, I'd like to welcome you to living and feeling. :) The truth really does set free, not a JW packaged "truth", but YOUR honest, living, breathing, real truth. Your honest emotional truth. You are not the first person to walk this emotional path. There is help from others that have both walked AND studied the path. I believe this is one of those times when, passing through your own personal "armageddon" you can reach a sort of "paradise" that you don't even realize exists. It's ALL an analogy, see? As a friend of mine once nicely summarized it to me, "it's always darkest before dawn".

I'm unfamiliar with your situation so I don't know if there is someone you could humble yourself enough to go be around or stay with temporarily while you give yourself time to decide how to process your new awareness about the real nature of your situation. Family, friend, even a sufficiently respectful enemy will do in a crisis like this. I hope you will keep us posted as to how you are doing and let us celebrate whatever steps you decide to take. Don't give up on yourself, okay. If you can let a broken woman go care for herself, there's hope for you yet. ;) Plus you seem fairly honest with us here and it seems to me that was a significant step. The cool thing about counsellors is that they are bound by law to be confidential so it can be a nice quiet safe place to hide for a while.

I hope you will give yourself credit for small steps like reaching out to others and even for becoming more aware of where you are really at now. I think your comment that you've seen her as your oxygen mask shows great awareness on your part and I believe there is a LOT of power in that kind of awareness. I don't feel sorry for you right now, I feel excited for you because I know you have a great opportunity here. If you've plunked along this far with such a challenging and limiting dynamic going on, imagine how great things can be once you've got much better oxygen reserves in place.

You only have to make one choice right now, then you get to simply ride it out. The choice likely has nothing to do with changing her mind. The choice may be how you are going to choose to manage this situation, giving up on yourself or standing up for yourself, with difficulty or with grace and whether you are going to take this opportunity to be loving. Love is not a feeling, it's an action. Start small but significant. You already know what you need to do.

And don't buy into anyone that would "label" you. There is nothing wrong with you. You are a normal human being responding to abnormal circumstances in exactly the same ways that billions of humans have responded before you and much the same as others will after you. Now that you are more aware, maybe try thinking of yourself as a mad scientist who's time has come to experiment and explore with other ways of living and being. Do what you really want to do. You are the one that will live with the consequences from here on in. Right now you are already living with the consequences of past choices and I respect that you have been so honest about how hard you have leaned on her to do your living for you. This honesty and awareness gives me hope that you will find your next step and your next oxygen mask until you are breathing again fully on your own. :)

The relief you will experience will really be worth it. The fears that you face right now are about to make you a very wise man, if you continue to embrace them. :)

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Embrace the fear. :) And thank you for sharing with us.

I imagine fear isn't the only thing you're feeling right now.

IF it fits how you're really feeling, you might even say to this woman: Someday I might thank you for this, but right now I'm scared and pissed off and sad because I feel abandoned and ashamed because I never meant to get into this situation!!

Resistance is protection. Fear is wisdom. Anger is strength. Shame is humility. Sadness is healing.

Love is action. Embrace the emotions and get the gifts.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I have a sneaking suspicion that this new awareness wouldn't have happened unless on some level you were ready for it. I wonder if you believe that too on some level.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Oh, and thanks again for sharing your stuff with us. It gives us a break from dealing with our own stuff (we ALL have ours) and believe it or not we learn from your stuff in the process too. Having been through some stuff it's awesome to see someone else mustering the courage to face their own stuff too. Back to my own stuff I go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit