Just got a visit from my mother....

by its_me! 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

It always amazed me when my mother would come and it would only be congregation gossip........then when I stopped attending it was only a long sermon every time I saw her...

• its_me!
    its_me!

Hey all! Thank you for the feedback and encouragement.

Blondie--My mom used to gossip too when she came over. You can tell she thinks of me as an outsider now, she only gives me her mini-lectures.

Broken Promises-- I have been praying for God to let me know what He wants me to do. And I just keep ending back up here! Also, I am thinking of looking into some other translations of the bible. Anyone have any suggestions as far as accuracy in translation?

I am married, but I do not have any children. My husband has never been a JW. So, it is not as difficult for me as it is for some. The biggest problem I am having now is how confused I feel! If God wants us to know about Him and serve Him/Her, then why does it have to be so hard to find the truth? Why would he do that to us?

• Quandry
    Quandry

Quandry,

Nice to see you back.

I still will not kiss you, you naughty monkey.

• Heaven
    Heaven

She kept talking about how close we are to the end of this system of things.

Yeah... I've heard this for almost 47 years now. 47 years isn't close. And... if you research it, the JWs have been saying this for over 130 years. 130 years isn't close either. Every time my Dad says 'it's close' or 'the end is coming soon' I ask for the definition of those words. "Dad", I say, "What does 'close' mean?" I told my Dad last summer (after the whatever it was A$$embly they had in June) "You know, the Witnesses have been saying the end is coming soon for over 130 years now. That's not soon, Dad. And when you say 'soon' and it's not 'soon' you lose credibility."

Always the silence.

To answer your question, I feel sad and wary. I have to couch everything I say. I don't tell my Dad too much. And I always try to show my Dad love and to make him laugh. He needs it.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Anyone have any suggestions as far as accuracy in translation?

King James is my recommendation since the bible that was translated into English, they had on hand 8,000 manuscripts to go with. Today there's fewer than 300 of those manuscripts that still exist.

I know it's difficult to understand the King James, but I suggest keeping a dictionary on hand and a Strong's Concordance to better understand the words as it was written in it's original language.

That's my suggestion,

Yiz

• wobble
    wobble

Your question "how do you feel when you see them " is difficult to answer as it depends which family members I am dealing with.

With most it is fine, we never talk religion, but my older sister will talk dub talk while I am in her presence, and I feel frustrated that I cannot respond to the drivil and nonsense she comes out with.

If I respond it causes a rift, and at present she is going through major depression and bursts in to tears at anything.

So I hold my tongue. I wish to preserve my position as a fader at least until my old Mum (90) is no longer with us.

I can identify with how you feel about praying for help, I too felt that way. I was helped by reading "A History of God " by Karen Armstrong, after that I did not expect help.

Good luck,

Love

Wobble

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    How do you who are out of the Org, but still have family in, feel when you see them?

Most of my family are active, experienced and successful, predators for the Watchtower.

I feel sorry for their victims.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I have a 36 yo and a 20 yo - both daughters.

It's the youngest who was on the convention program.

The oldest has absolutely nothing to do with JW's.

Sylvia

• Scully
    Scully

I wouldn't trust a close JW relative with anything regarding my Apostate™ mindset.

The reason for that is because my own mother hypocritically turned me in to the Elders™ - before I was even baptized - for the "crime" of taking a phone call from a Worldly™ boy at school. Although she had no problem taking phone calls regularly from a DFd person, and making plans to travel to that area for a vacation and stay in the DFd person's house.

• flipper
    flipper

It's ME- I'm sure it was challenging dealing with your mom- especially if she's a pretty devoted or fanatic witness. Most of my family are JW's and I try to not trigger their JW cult instincts when I talk to them by avoiding witness topics. Or if they bring up doctrinal points, I change the subject to family matters or the weather, movies, sports, ANYTHING but JW topics so as not to re-inforce their beliefs. There are lots of good ideas in how to talk to relatives in a cult in the book by Steve Hassan, " Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think for Themselves". Lots of good tips in there, I highly recommend reading it. Good luck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit