When religion dies....will it just roll over belly up?

by cameo-d 13 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It will never be completely gone. Too bad really.

It will continue to trap the weaker minded and those who cannot think clearly. There will always be a segment of the population that cannot deal with reality and need to keep the religion crutch close-by. Who knows, it may actually grow at various times. Mankind has a lot of superstition to overcome before it will even decline much I fear.

Opposition to it will only fuel the fire. Nations who have attempted to wipe religion out have always failed. Technology will continue to take little chunks of religion, but never a large bite. At least not for a very long time.

I am afraid that the beast is stronger than it appears.

Jeff

• ziddina
    ziddina

What Gregor, Elsewhere, and AK_Jeff said...

Religion is - in my opinion - a "fear-based" product... Like my old Commercial Arts teacher used to say, there are products that you need [groceries, gas, housing], products that feed inner needs or salve perceived shortcomings [mouthwash, deodorant, hair gels, cosmetics, "cool" soft drinks/beer/liquor/snack foods]...

And then there are the "FEAR" based products - all forms of insurance, most security products - [that includes guns, by the way, unless you have to regularly shoot a 'gator to have meat for dinner]...

And RELIGION... a "FEAR"-based product against the greatest and most inevitable fear of all - as George Carlin might say it, "You're gonna DIE! Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually you're gonna DIE!"

Ultimately, ALL religion is based on that fear of death... Many religions may have evolved some sort of theology to 'explain' natural phenomena, but they all offer some sort of 'escape' from death...

Zid

• Gayle
    Gayle

It may happen that the larger churches will dry out, as they need more money for their big buildings, programs, but as there becomes more money and more people, then there follows up with lawsuits, skeletons in the closet, or people questioning motives of leadership, not getting their money worth for their needs, "large" churches likely to lessen in power or value.

But then, smaller churches/congregations will sprout up, people wanting and needing community, encouragement in their day to day life, challenging problems, raising kids, aging folks, etc. There could be value in such a community. However, with that, can also sprout up more small mind-control cults until their ways and works are revealed. New religions won't grow as large and as powerfully, as information is quickly on the tail of new religions to reveal anything questionable.

• parakeet
    parakeet

leavingwt: Just like McDonald's, billions and billions served.

Don't you mean billions and billions bilked?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit