How many here desire 'Reality' over the fantasy of eternal life?

by AK - Jeff 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Once one embraces the frame of mind that the here and now is all there is they will never go back to watching life go by while they are waiting for something better.

"this is it"

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

One of the things that got me through a difficult childhood was believing the story my mother told me about my guardian angel. I think it was passed on to her from her mother.

• donuthole
    donuthole

I desire the real eternal life promised by Jesus as opposed to a pet lion.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Jeff, if you're dying of terminal cancer, is it wrong to hope for a cure? If you're suffering in life now, is it wrong to hope for something better afterward?

Why would I prefer to believe lies instead of the truth, though? What possible good will come to me by believing things that have no basis in rational thought? Is some false hope better than reality? I think that is the point I am making. If doc says we have to remove my leg - what possible good will come from believing I will still have one after the surgery - wouldn't it make better sense to get on with adjusting to reality instead of making up stories to keep the mind occupied falsely?

It's just a hope. Why would you want to take that away from someone by convincing them that they're wrong?

I don't think I ever stated that I care if you prefer to live in fantasy - if you prefer guardian angels and eternal souls - then by all means go right ahead. I prefer reality. I have made no effort to convince you of being wrong. I asked how many desire reality over fantasy of eternal life - which by the way has jack-shit to do with discussions of terminal cancer. If one has terminal cancer, a positive mindset is crucial to the body's effort to fight as long as possible. Hope that a cure might be found is a good thing. Not quite the same as believing in ghosts and souls and eternal harps.

Why does it bother you that someone believes this?

When did I say, or imply, that it bothered me that others believe such things? I do think it a waste of your life to do so - since it is all lies and make believe - but if that rings your bell, then go for it! You'll never know anyway. You will just take your last breath and go black. When it's over, it's over. But believe fantasy if you want. I don't. Most of the world is deluded. I can't change that. I post these threads to hopefully excite a few neurons in a few, that's all.

Did I suggest that belief in supernatural is unhealthy? Yes. I believe it is. I always think reality better. That's just me. If someone ever points to convincing proof otherwise, I examine it and find they are correct, I will adjust my viewpoint. I haven't chosen reality over fantasy because it makes me feel fulfilled. I have chosen to accept it because then I don't waste my life hoping for things that aren't true.

Jeff

• paul from cleveland
  • Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I turned into Mickey Mouse.

• The Finger
    The Finger

"you are going to die too. You won't wake" I wouldn't be so sure.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Nope. Once dead, always dead. Very sure. No spirits. No afterlife. No demons. No angels. No god. No eternal life.

Born. Breath. Live. Stop breathing. Die. Dust.

Jeff

• The Finger
    The Finger

"Nope. Once dead, always dead. Very sure. No spirits. No afterlife. No demons. No angels. No god. No eternal life." Do you speak from experience.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No. From rational thought processes.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit