Signing Publisher Record Cards

by IMHO 16 Replies latest jw friends

• IMHO
    IMHO

I know this doesn't apply to all countries.

However, is it a 'requirement'?

Is it a 'request'?

Is it enforced?

Is it optional?

What happens if you refuse?

• IMHO
    IMHO

72 views so far but no replies.

Does no one know or is no one but me interested to knowing?

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

What kind of cards are these? The monthly hour cards or the cards where elders write crap about you?

• IMHO
    IMHO

The "Publisher Record Cards" where they record your field service.

However the "signature!" allows them to write what they want about you and not show it to you as its "confidential".

• Open mind
    Open mind

I think they might do something like that in the UK. In the U.S. the only thing a publisher signs is an Advance Medical Directive (No Blood Card).

om

• blondie
    blondie

No signing required in the US; probably part of the UK Data Protection Act; I'm sure it is meant to be voluntary but I'm sure the WTS makes it clear that if a jw does not that they will be branded as a "bad" jw.

http://www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/ukpga_19980029_en_1

• bnybyt
    bnybyt

The signature gives your permission in the EU for them to keep info on you on their files, the files aren't yours.

In the US there's no need to sign anything. The cards only have time and placement figures and very brief notes.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

In Australia you are asked to sign the card. I think they explained it being that it allowed them to retain the information on you.

Here in Oz we have Freedom of Information laws. It would be interesting to know if they apply to our publisher record cards too.

• IMHO
    IMHO

Anyone have a definitive answer as to whether one 'must' sign or suffer repercussions.

• nugget
    nugget

There are no reprecussions. It is a requirement under the data protection act and freedom of information act. It grants permission to share data. Presumably if you refused to sign the card you are refusing to grant permission for the information on the card to be shared. In truth I don't know of anyone who refused to sign the card since it was positioned as an administrative requirement not a scriptual one. After all if you have done the hours and jumped through the hoops to be a publisher why wouldn't you sign? It is treated in the same way as those tick boxes at the end of forms. It's a one off signature.

The elders may find it a little confusing if someone declined to sign but cannot compel someone to sign it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit