SURVIVORS on BBC America, majority of people in Britain die of "flu"

by blondie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/370/index.jsp

Has anybody been watching this show in the US or saw it last year in the UK?

I taped it and I'm starting to watch it from 10/14/09 episode.

Set in the present day, Survivors focuses on the world in the aftermath of a virulent disease that scoured the planet, wiping out 99% of the human race. Only a lonely few are left to start over in a devastated world where everything that was once safe and familiar is now strange and dangerous.

A bewildered but resilient group of survivors is led by Abby Grant, a woman whose strength comes from a burning need to find out if her young son is still alive. Other members of the group include Greg (a good man who hides the pain of his past), Anya (a doctor who has seen too many people die) and Al, a former playboy who becomes surrogate father to streetwise urchin Najid. Then there is Tom, outwardly handsome and charming, but actually a dangerous and ruthless man who, unbeknown to the others, was a high-security prisoner before the virus hit.

This brave new world brings an opportunity for new beginnings, but also terrible dangers – not just the daily struggle for food and water, but also a deadly threat from other survivors.

“Survivors is about what it means to be human,” says award-winning writer and executive producer Adrian Hodges (co-creator and writer of Primeval). “It asks questions about our nature and confronts us with our deepest fears. When everything else is stripped away, would we band together and find the best in ourselves, or would we fall apart and retreat into barbarism and savagery?”

Hodges’ Survivors is a re-imagining of the classic ‘70s BBC drama series, and is based on the novel by Terry Nation. Hodges adds: “Survivors is about adventure, fear, love, loyalty and friendship. But above all, it’s about new hope.”

Survivors airs Saturdays at 9/8c.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The first series was great; the second series just finished in the UK but wasn't so strong. Still worth watching though.

• blondie
    blondie

It reminds me of the miniseries "The Stand" by Stephen King.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes, I also enjoyed The Stand (well, the first half of it, not so keen on the bizarre stuff that came later on).

• cantleave
    cantleave

Does anyone remember the original 1970's series by Terry Nation (who also created the Daleks in Dr. Who)?

• blondie
    blondie

Probably not, no BBC America in my area then; I was lucky that PBS showed Dr Who and Monty Python.

http://www.survivorstvseries.com/Episode_Guide.htm

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Blondie, I've been enjoying it on comcast. They have an "On Demand" button that brings a menu up. You choose "TV Entertainment" and choose BBC America. Then choose Survivors. They keep episodes up for awhile and so far have posted the most recent episode the day after it shows on BBC America. It is a free on demand program, fortunately! I am enjoying it also. I just watched the most current where the guy hears voices, including God. Do you think that's how it was for old Charlie R? Keep enjoying it. I am. W.Once

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

cantleave

I can remember the original that screened in New Zealand in the 1970s, great series, have not seen new version tho.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.survivorstvseries.com/Episode_Guide.htm

the original 70's series episode guide.

• pixiesticks
    pixiesticks

It's alright.
    We just finished up season 2 over here in England. While the premise is interesting and the show itself very well directed, the characters are unfortunately still (like most British dramas) pretty flat and dull with very little development. The acting is slightly above average for British shows, but still not fantastic and the chemistry between the actors leaves a lot to be desired (with the exception of Al, the former playboy of family money who ends up becoming a sort of surogate father/older brother to orphaned Najid. Their relationship is adorable and the most authentic on the show.)The actual main story arcs are imaginative and interesting, but the script is downright awful in places and borderline homophobic in season 2, which I took issue with.

But it's worth watching, if only for the creepy emptiness that's achieved. Seeing a usual noisy, bustling city like London so deathly quiet and desolate with a few survivors wandering the empty streets is really eeirie!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit