Whats the strangest watchtower/awake article ever

by sleepy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Whats the strangest watchtower/awake or other publication article you,ve ever seen?
    I know theres some very strange old articles , but a few years ago there was one in the awake if I remmember right which had a picture of two brothers holding hands on the ministrty.
    One was african the other white.
    Apparently it was common for men to hold hands in this country and was perectly normal for hetrosexual men to do.
    A brother who was a missionary recounted how he was shocked when out with a local brother for the first time on the ministry and the brother took his hand in his.

A lot of people though the article was very odd and didn't like it.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I vote for the one where Jehovah appointed a faithful slave over the domestics in 1919.

Oh wait! There a ton of those.

How about the one where an invisible man in the sky sends his invisible son in the sky with a few million other invisible men to kill every visible man except those bearing the mark of Ezekiel?

Alas, lots of those too.

Ok, I got one.

It certainly, positively, unequivocably has to be the one where... aw hell... all of 'em qualify.

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

That 1970's-era business about the physical heart being responsible for emotions pushed the needle on my bullshit detector right off the scale.

• freeman
    freeman

I saw the article on the human heart; I think it was in Awake. It more or less said how all emotion was bound up in this organ. They were not kidding, they were saying this blood pump was the seat of emotion. Wacky, wacky stuff! Then again it has been said that men think with their penises, maybe they are on to something here. :-}

Freeman

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I remember those articles about the heart and emotions. Trouble is , I believed them at the time....

Do you remember how they used to blast off about the T V programme, "Dallas"?
    It was a big sin to want to find out who shot J R .

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

No kidding!
    Well if you ever tried yoga, heaven forbid, you do get some intresting sensations from the heart center when the chakra is opened.
    They do have to do with physical love.
    Try it?

Love it not just a state of mind, look at any newly in love couple.

If you ask anyone who is really disdraught, to point to where the pain is, where does it hurt, you get some interesting realizations. Almost no one will point to thier head, unless it is a financial problem and they have a headache from the math.

A study of the meridians from Chinese medicine, makes a connection between different emotions and the internal organs of the body. The stomach with worry, know anyone with ulcers from stress?
    Anger in the liver, and on and on.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I remember there was an article that came out about music videos and the harms they can cause. It was from 1983 or 1984. Anyway, it was merely done, in my humble opinion, as a vehicle for Michael Jackson to apologize for the 'Thriller' video. I'm going off of memory here, but it went something like this: Michael Jackson, who made the 'Thriller' video, which had an occult theme, had this to say, "I never meant for the video to offend people. I would never make a video like that again..." Something to that effect. You can read that article if you have the WT CD-ROM. Type in 'Michael Jackson' in the Search field. You'll see what I mean.

So many stupid people, so few comets! :o)

• Blackcat
    Blackcat

is this the article in question ?
    1971 "How Is Your Heart? … The heart, nevertheless, is intricately connected with the brain by the nervous system and is well supplied with sensory nerve endings. The sensations of the heart are recorded on the brain. It is here that the heart brings to bear on the mind its desires and its affections in arriving at conclusions having to do with motivations. In reverse flow, the mind feeds the heart with interpretations of the impulses from the senses and with conclusions reached that are based on the knowledge it has received, either at the moment or from the memory. There is a close interrelationship between the heart and the mind, but they are two different faculties, centering in different locations. The heart is a marvelously designed muscular pump, but, more significantly, our emotional and motivating capacities are built within it. Love, hate, desire (good and bad), preference for one thing over another, ambition, fear-in effect, all that serves to motivate us in relationship to our affections and desires springs from the heart. … It is significant that heart-transplant patients, where the nerves connecting the heart and brain are severed, have serious emotional problems after the operation. The new heart is still able to operate as a pump, it having its own power supply and timing mechanism independent of the general nervous system for giving impulse to the heart muscle, but just as it now responds only sluggishly to outside influences, the new heart in turn registers few, if any, clear factors of motivation on the brain. To what extent the nerve endings of the body and the new heart are able to make some connections in time is not clear, but this cannot be ruled out as one of the several factors causing the serious mental aberrations and disorientation that doctors report are observed in heart-transplant patients. These patients have donor-supplied pumps for their blood, but do they now have all the factors needed to say they have a "heart"? One thing is sure, in losing their own hearts, they have had taken away from them the capacities of "heart" built up in them over the years and which contributed to making them who they were as to personality." (Watchtower, 3/1/1971 p.133-139)

• Blackcat
    Blackcat

Another Watchtower classic.... The real reason blood transfusions are feared… sin transmitted by blood?

1961 "The blood in any person is in reality the person himself. ... poisons due to personal living, eating and drinking habits ... The poisons that produce the impulse to commit suicide, murder, or steal are in the blood. Moral insanity, sexual perversions, repression, inferiority complexes, petty crimes - these often follow in the wake of blood transfusion." (Watchtower, Sept. 1, 1961 page 564)

AND PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVED IT ??....THEN AGAIN THIS ALSO IS A WATCHTOWER QUOTE, SO I GUESS THEY HAD TOO !!

If we have love for Jehovah and for the organization of his people we shall not be suspicious, but shall, as the Bible says, 'believe all things', all the things that The Watchtower brings out..." Qualified to Be Ministers, 1955, p. 156.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hey Blackcat,

Does that mean that a Loyal JW could give blood and the recipient would start comming to the Kingdom Hall?

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit