Would You Like WatchTower Better if They Open a Soup Kitchen or Charity Thrift Store?

by cameo-d 36 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I see over and over so many times JWs and x-JWs alike complaining about WT's lack of charity work. It almost seems to imply that WT would be an OK religion if only they opened a soup kitchen or had some charity pet project.

Do you really think that a food bank would reconcile all of the sins of that organization?

Would you be more inclined to accept WT teachings if only they would do something to help "needy people"?

Would that really justify all their abuses?

Why do people keep griping about WT not having charity projects like it would really make a big difference in their acceptance of the organization? Would it?

• Terry
    Terry

I think what a charity connection would reveal about the Watchtower Society is that they've given up on Armageddon as the solution to all the world's problems.

Generation after generation (whatever that means!) of Jehovah's Witnesses have been admonished not to marry, go to college or plan for a decent paying career or do charitable work because Armageddon is SOOOOO NEAR it would be a waste of time better spent shlepping magazines door to door.

A similar thing happened to the Puritans, by the way. Did you know that?

The Puritans orignally thought they'd live exemplary lives and bring about a shining City on a Hill that all nations of the Earth would wish to imitate and bring about a New Age of Christianity in all parts of the globe......and that would usher in the return of Christ.

They neglected anything and everything beyond Spiritual practices until it became absolutely obvious (around the time of the Civil War) that it JUST WASN'T WORKING!

J-Dubs can't afford to give up on Armageddon-any-day. They'd evaporate overnight.

They'd have to become like every other mainstream christian denomination!

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Not sure if I'd like them anymore or less but it would make them look better to others. I can remember my mom being afraid to go into Salvation Army resale shops. Someting about the items being demonized...lol. I guess if they opened up a resale shop it world be ok..

Grewup

• spawn
    spawn

No

• Open mind
    Open mind

It would be one of 95 Theses that need to change. At least it would be a step in the right direction.

But I'm with Terry, it'll never happen.

om

• minimus
    minimus

Sh*t is sh*t.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No..

It`s unlikey the WBT$ will ever do anything,that doesn`t benfit the WBT$ somehow..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• undercover
    undercover

I hate to use this quote, but it kinda fits here...

It would be like putting lipstick on a pig...

• asilentone
    asilentone

nope

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

grewupjw: "I guess if they opened up a resale shop it world be ok.."

Does it appeal to your sense of fairness that someone can open a store, expect volunteer employees, call the neighborhood and ask for donations and then just sit back and collect $$$ without having any real expenditures (only low overhead)?

By the way, I checked and these thrift stores do NOT give clothes to needy people nor household goods. They are strictly a sales venture. Many of these orgs will have numerous stores, maybe 50, to support one soup kitchen. Don't know how many are served, but from what I see, the odds of stores to soup kitchen and shelters appear to be waaay unbalanced in favor of the retail aspect.

I think many religions have lost a lot of their congregational tithes and offerings and they are plying every way they can to get a nickel to stay on top. I think they have a real good money making scam. I think the "charity" is a small token effort for show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit