International Conventions - Have you attended any of them?

by Girlie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

There was an International in San Francisco in the late 60's or early 70's. It was a miserable time for me personally, with seat stealers and older folks passing out from heat stroke (one day we sat right next to the First Aid area and there were half a dozen people in various states of unconsciousness). The sound system was difficult in Candlestick Park, lots of speakers set out along the circumference of the baseball field, hard to distinguish which echo to listen to. We were in the bleachers a couple days under unrelenting sun and occasional heavy wind.

What was fun was they used the concession stands of the park and so decent food (burgers, hot dogs) was available. There were ice cream vendors, too.

The handbill depicted people in various exotic dress along the border, and I eagerly looked for traditional dress, but everyone was wearing the same casual dress uniform as us.

All those "we are so cool and holy" speeches, the crowd seemed evenly divided between "rah rah" and "will this ever end?"

By the time restrictions were put on conventions I had utterly lost interest - if God isn't for everyone, He seems too picky to bother with.

Aside from size, it didin't seem all that different from circuit or district assemblies, maybe a little less claustrophobic or incestuous being a bigger group from a larger population.

• blondie
  • Girlie
    Girlie

Thank you all for your comments and thank you Blondie for providing those links. In hindsight, I can take comfort in knowing that I really didn't miss out on much.

• dandingus
    dandingus

I went in 2003 to Santiago, Chile.

So for those who had the opportunity to attend, what was the experience like?
    And for those in the US who attended, what aspects of the IC were different from a normal DC?

The trip was actually pretty enjoyable. It had more of a party atmosphere than any other convention. People wore "native" garb from all over as a way to extend a cultural exchange, and it seemed to me that people were generally more accepting of each other's differences. It was kind of nice in a group that tries so desperately to make everyone conform to see the closest they ever get to a celebration of diversity.

Did you find the international friends to be all loving and embracing?

They made a good show of it on the surface. The truth of the matter was however, that they were just as wrapped up in the bullshit as everyone in the U.S. In fact, I'd say the people there, while a little more laid back than the average US witness, were even more paranoid and superstitious. Hard to believe, I know.

Here's some pictures if anyone's interested:

Stadium

Another Stadium shot

City of Santiago

Guitar at Airport

Native Dress

Native Dress

Native Dress

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never had the money to waste on these things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit