International Conventions - Have you attended any of them?

by Girlie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Girlie
    Girlie

During my time in JW, I always had a desire to attend the international conventions, but never had the opportunity to do so because it was always extended to the elite class 1st (Pioneers, Elders, etc.) and peons second. In my congregation, the same pioneer sisters always hogged the opportunity, leaving others to only hope in the day they can go. Even when the Borg has finally relaxed its standards making it possible for any publisher in good standing to attend, the elite class always seem to get the 1st pickings.

These pioneer sisters did this everytime the call for International Conventions was made. As I discovered, perhaps not all, but some did it just for bragging purposes and to have a one-up on the social status ladder.

So for those who had the opportunity to attend, what was the experience like? Did you find the international friends to be all loving and embracing? And for those in the US who attended, what aspects of the IC were different from a normal DC?

• blondie
    blondie

I do believe in the last few years you do not have to be a pioneer but only "in good standing." Even still the trips are so expensive I always wondered how pioneers could afford it without saving for several years.

When I went it was aeons ago (1970's) and it was not a tour group type of thing, only special airfare and booking of hotels. Otherwise you were quite free to make your own schedule.

I had no desire to go when they changed it to a tightly controlled event.

In the 1970's (before) 1975, the people were very hospitable and friendly (but you always wonder how they treated the jws in their own congregation)

I went to ICs in Europe and they had a special program before the rest of it with people in costume, local dancing and music, and a history of jws in their country.

• zoiks
    zoiks

I attended one at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. I was very young and don't remember much besides the horrible heat as well as the rain. The attendants would actually cover whole sections of the crowd with clear plastic sheets, if I recall correctly. There were delegates from other countries in the stadium, as well as in a smaller stadium next door.

It seemed pretty exciting at the time.

• sir82
    sir82

I went to a few many years ago, when still single.

They didn't have the "thou shalt wear meeting clothes at all times" dress code back then, so it was likely more enjoyable than now.

I was a true believer back then, and the conventions served to reinforce my beliefs. Yes, the JWs in other countries were very hospitable, and it was great fun to talk to people from halfway around the world with whom you shared something in common. It enforced the notions of "unity" and "worldwide brotherhood".

The sessions were all outdoors in blistering sun, and most of the program was in the local language, so during the sessions you could talk (quietly) to your friends around you. There were a lot more baptisms, in some cases several thousand in one day.

Outside of the sessions, they arranged tours for you. However, you also had to visit the local Bethel branch in every country you visited. It really annoyed me - here I am in [insert exotic country name] and there are 1000 year old world famous ruins 20 miles away - and I have to walk through a boring factory and look at giant washing machines?

I found them a lot of fun, which was probably a function of being young & single, meeting cute girls, and hanging out with good friends.

• Emma
    Emma

I got to go to the "Peace on Earth" assemblies in Europe while pioneering. I was living at home and was able to save most of the money myself. My grandparents gave me some money, too. The activities were not controlled then, we got a terrific price on air fare and accomodations and attended a session or two in each assembly city. After that, we toured and saw the sights. I was there for a month and it was wonderful. I'd love to spend another month in Europe!

• JeffT
    JeffT

Maybe I missed something. My first convention was the one in Vancouver BC 1973, it was billed as an "International" Convention. Looking back, it was just like all the others.

• blondie
    blondie

In that case the "international" probably meant that jws from other countries came in and the WTS paid for some missionaries from that area to come home and these missionaries had parts on the program.

• dissed
    dissed

Zoiks - Montreal?

We were there as well. It was quite hot and when the rain came it felt so good....... we both got colds, but at least we got them in JG's service. The lightening strike was a great waker upper.

I remember, they had English, French, Portuguese

• goldensky
    goldensky

We had an international convention a few years ago in Madrid and the heat was just inhuman. I heard some complaints from different brothers, not just because of the unbearable temperature but also because many fights arose over the few shady seats. I was asked to volunteer in Lost and Found because languages were needed and I was required to remain in the department virtually at all times, even during the programme, so I didn't get to listen to practically any of the talks, me, who absorbed every word uttered from a platform as if it came from Jehovah himself and took notes tirelessly. I was sorry to miss the information, although to make up for that I got to meet delightful brothers and sisters who came to us looking for their lost items. I was also saddened when I heard about the bad spirit as regards the seats...

• Gayle
    Gayle

'66 - Mexico . . . .couldn't take a Bible in public there but could take Wt literature. Didn't know whole story then. And, the people were wonderful, including non-JWs. Didn't know it was the WT rule/decision to not take the Bible public. I was a very naive pioneer very long ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit