Hypnotic Language Patterning

by Simon Morley 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

I have not attended any meetings for three months but recently I was struck by a strange recollection of something common to most meetings I attended. At every meeting, regardess of the time of day, frame of mind, secular workload, etc, I would feel I was being lulled into a numbing sleep. It was not that the material was boring to me (I have attended many boring secular conferences and NEVER experienced the strange effect that a meeting had on me). It was not a feeling of daydreaming or dozing off - more that there was a cerebral disconnect and reruting taking place. It go to the point that I was aware of my surroundings but clearly something had taken root in my subconscious. I have never had similar numbing feeling since not going to meetings. I do not think this is deliberate (it is illegal to use outside a clinical setting) on behalf of the WTBS but I think the underlying effect is still the same. let me explain.

I started reading about conversational language patterns and the power it can yeild. While hypnosis is all about altering your states of consciousness, hypnotic language patterning (HLP) is about how you can alter states of consciousness through the use of language. Think of a typical meeting and note the outcomes of HLP:

• Learning hypnotic language patterns is about understanding how this process happens, how you can induce it in others at will and how you can use this to get them to where you want them to go.
    • It is a way of bypassing objections and focusing on the real heart of the matter.
    • One of the most common uses of hypnotic language patterns is to access specific emotions from the past and attach them to situations, experiences and things in the present or the future.
    • Speak in a way that draws people in until they are hanging on every word you say.
    • Capture and lead the imagination to the exact thoughts you want a person to think about.
    • A sales person might want to bypass the usual sticking points like price and get you to access the joys of owning the product.
    • A manager might want use this to get their team to focus on getting great results rather than their current problems.
    • A parent might get their children to connect the fun and excitement of going out to play with doing homework.
    • A teacher or trainer might use HLP Persuasion skills to ramp up the desire to learn the skills as a route to manage the amount of concentration and work involved in getting there.

If you think of the meetings are they really different? The midweek meeting covers a publication with the same message in different shades, the TMS covers the same points every week and the overseer rarely covers the points any differently from the previous week. The SM is a rehash of old topics in new forms. Sunday you get the same talks given over and over. While there is well over a hundred outlines, the topics can be easily categorized into handful of main points - then the WT is never really different. It is all Hypnotic Language Patterning. Look it up and see the similarities.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The 'way' in which the meetings are done are hypnotic. Getting one to read something, then say it themself in a comment, convinces them and bypasses mental guard, in which they accept what normally may not be accepted. Since must comment on paragraph and not really your own words, or put the paragraphy reworked into your own words, but still only whats on paragraph, (to show making truth your own), that's a form of hypnotism.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i always had this weird sleepy feeling come over me during the meetings. not like being tired, more like mental tiredness. i think there is some sort of hypnotic thing going on, like to get peoples mind to just accept everything being said.

• carla
    carla

Check out NLP (neuro linguistic patterns) as well.

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

Some great points. I too have been to some really boring academic conferences but nothing compares to the mental tiredness and fatigue that I have experienced at meetings. Also, at least you get free booze, snacks and conference dinners at non-Witness events. That always deadened the pain a little.

As you say, the same material is constantly re-used and it is this repetitiveness--along with the "do more" mantra--that really seems to wear people out. Just look at the faces at the average Kingdom Hall: weary, despondent and depressed. I always noticed how many Witnesses seemed to be almost ecstatic at the end of the meeting (a contrast to when they walked in). In their minds I suppose it's because they "know" they've done the right thing by attending even though they didn't feel like it (the guilt has temporarily lifted). In reality, I would say that it is simply due to a sucbonscious sigh of relief that the whole thing is over.

I think the atmosphere at meetings also causes a general fatigue in Watch Tower followers. I know I felt it. Even an elder relative of mine jokingly commented: "why is it only Jehovah's Witnesses that seem to get fatigue related illnesses?"

On the issue of the weary and tired look--Steve Hassan made an interesting comment in Combating Cult Mind Control that dozing off is actually a sign that people are responding well to the hypnosis. Pretty frightening.

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

At every meeting, regardess of the time of day, frame of mind, secular workload, etc, I would feel I was being lulled into a numbing sleep.

I just have to weigh in on this... what you said really hit home for me. I always chalked this feeling up to just boredom due to lack of intellectual stimulation. But now I agree that it goes so much farther than that. It is almost like some form of hypnosis. The question and answer format, the repetitive scriptures (there are probably about 100 core scriptures that are constantly being used at the meetings), and the same topics being discussed over and over. If the topic was particularly of interest, I wouldn't get that sleepy feeling, but I know I used to feel it all the time. It almost felt like you were being lulled into a state of complete relaxation.

It is ironic that they stress the importance of the meetings to your spiritual health, because I haven't attended one in 6 months or more, and then decided to go a few weeks back, and its like I have never been gone. There was nothing new or groundbreaking to be observed. I could probably miss 2 years and then go one day only to find they are talking about the same old crap!!

Another interesting phenomenon is when a witness will miss a week or two of meetings, and just feel like something isn't right. I remember experiencing this too. People have even expressed to me that they feel spiritually starving if they miss a few in a row! I guess they like that nice sleepy feeling, and then the subsequent euphoria when the meeting ends

• zagor
    zagor

If one was evil one could easily manipulate with people's minds like with pebbles. Take any wtbs tract and chances are it starts something like this "While watching these scenes, what feeling are going through your mind" or "what does it make you feel while you are seeing such and such" It is very crude but it strikes the essence of hypnosis; by manipulating how someone feels you can manipulate what they think. For example, if you want them to run away from you, you can easily make them feel gross and soon their mind will find "logical" reasons to run for cover. Military strategists, political strategists as well as practitioners of higher orders of some martial arts have known that for ages.
    Likewise if you make them feel secure and like you know what you are talking about you can easily do that too by giving them little facts while majority of what you say appeals to their stereotypes, prejudices etc, i.e. how they feel about the world, a group of people or an individual (politicians do that all the time).
    Heck even gossip is prime example of it, its almost like a freaking trance. Just listen to people talking about someone, there might be few facts but majority is, speculations, exaggerations, appeal on loyalty to the person spreading gossip, and alike but very few and far between real facts, just interpretations of the "facts" glued by rich imaginations. No wonder majority of people can't seem to find strength to break the cycle. Heck in few instances I even gave people to read a book or an article that told them in details what was happening and even how to do it, and then watched them to see if they got enough of brain power to recognize it happening, but nope too many are simply clueless.

People are expecting something "spooky" or "something out of this world" to control their minds, what they don't realize that is simply a diversion, a misdirection, while real mind manipulations was happening right there and then while they were given verbal presentation craftily measured for intended purpose.
    There are no "demons", or "gods" out there, something "spiritual" or "voodoo" there's nothing that one person can do to another person by focusing "mind power" lol, it only exist if you believe in it. Real manipulation is happening while they are with you in person skillfully choosing their words and actions. Heck is it any wonder that Hitler was able to manipulate millions of intelligent people? He appealed on their stereotypes and prejudices, as simple as that. Or how is it that suddenly only certain brands of perfume or clothing are being ordered, its happening all the time.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

If you notice not one of the songs are uptempo marches. They are all somber tunes that lull you to sleep.

It was this thread posted a coupla years ago that convinced me they use a form of group hypnosis, you can draw your own conclusions.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/149601/1/Mind-Blowing-Article-on-Watchtower-Indoctrination-MUST-READ

The author (from Australia) makes some great points.

http://www.noelbatten.com/watchtower.pdf
    46 pages long

Some excerpts:

I began to investigate the Watchtower teachings after seeing a phenomenal number of
    Jehovah Witnesses attend my office with depression and fatigue related illnesses
    . One such
    client invited me to study with her and her colleague and when I did, I noticed they were
    unknowingly using a form of direct clinical hypnosis on me, introduced through their study
    magazines, which is the same as I have used to treat people for phobias
    . The only difference
    was, they were using it on me “to give me phobias about life outside the Watchtower
    movement” and for blood transfusion.

it is my opinion they deplete the mental potential of thousands of
    adults and children
    who attend expecting to be taught Christian ethics but instead, are
    given a self-destructive attitude towards life and towards the efforts of personal
    development in life

The United Nations Religion Declaration requires, leaders of religion must be responsible
    and their teachings must not diminish mental capacity or cause difficulties to health
    . It is
    my opinion the Watchtower Society is violating this Declaration and it is time they were
    held accountable. After counseling many Jehovah Witnesses it is my opinion their mental
    capacity to answer certain questions has purposefully been suppressed through hypnosis.

As an experienced clinical hypnotist who studied the early principals of Charcot
    hypnosis introduced to America by Freud in 1908, I believe the chairman of the
    Jehovah Witness movement at that time, Joseph Rutherford, a student of
    psychology, applied Charcot’s hypnosis to the format of the J.W. meetings in 1914
    and this hypnosis format is being used to this day
    . The way “all” Jehovah Witness
    minds are blocked off from understanding specific simple sentences, is my proof

Jehovah Witnesses have had their self-thinking skills removed through hypnosis!
    After counseling many J.W’s and studying with them, I came to the opinion that
    hypnosis has been used to stop them from thinking for themselves. By using the
    enclosed 190 scriptures worded from their own Bible, anyone can test J.W’s to
    prove their mind has been hypnotized to remove reasoning and self-thinking skills.

They never study from a Bible! One will read a little bit of their study story and the
    other will read the Bible verse quoted in the story from the Bible, a bit of story, then
    a Bible verse, etc. As you read along with them, the little bit of story stimulates your
    right brain and the Bible verse stimulates your left brain, so it causes a continuous
    and definite back and forth thinking action, which creates the same effect as a
    swinging pendulum
    . This specially designed study story will have a gradual
    hypnotic effect
    even if you only study with one of them as it is the different subjects
    of reading, causing the left brain-right brain use. When two of them are present
    however, this back and forth action of the mind is further stimulated by hearing the
    person on your left, then the person on the right. Back and forth, back and forth.
    This prevents your mind from finding time to examine the information, which is the
    prerequisite of hypnosis
    . Their main meetings follow the same format and have
    done, since Joseph Rutherford, learned this principal from Freud around
    .(Questioning J.W’s with the enclosed scriptures will show the blocked mind.)

Watchtower insists all Jehovah Witness meetings
    worldwide “must not deviate” from their meeting format
    Since psychology student Joseph Rutherford designed the following meeting format
    in 1914, it has never changed and J.W. elders are instructed they are not allowed to
    change the meeting format in any way
    . They are also supplied with monotone music
    tapes and songs from America which have the story triggering phrases written into
    them, which are designed to further support the hypnotic stories

Watchtower teachings encourage depression, which in turn provokes disease
    After attending public meetings, home study sessions and sales meetings with the
    Jehovah Witnesses I quickly learned, the procedures the Watchtower society of
    America makes their members follow, do not apply positivity, security and personal
    development and do not create inner happiness. Watchtower promotes a constantly
    negative fear based teaching, which I don’t believe children should be exposed to.
    It is my opinion they promote these negative fear based teachings to prevent the
    members of Jehovah Witnesses families from becoming close and homely, so they
    will continue being slaves to sell magazines and collect donations door to door.

Jehovah Witnesses are God loving people who have the best of intentions for the
    people they approach. They offer themselves as servants without asking for
    anything in return, it is my belief they are, unfortunately, deceived into becoming
    servants of the Watchtower tax-free moneymaking machine
    , instead of servants of
    God.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

J.W. elders are instructed they are not allowed to
    change the meeting format in any way
    . They are also supplied with monotone music
    tapes and songs from America which have the story triggering phrases written into
    them, which are designed to further support the hypnotic stories

I find this portion telling cause they NEVER change the format. Even if its a simple matter of meeting with the CO, RBC or whatever they always feel the need to start with an opening prayer (maybe song depending on situation) and have you or someone read from the bible or WT lit in a back and forth fashion.

• only me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit