Has anyone read The Shack by William Young?

by awildflower 27 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I was given this book to read a little over a year ago. I got as far as God being a black woman, Jesus a carpenter and the Holy Spirit is an Asian woman that enjoyed cooking. I lost interest and haven't picked it up again.

If you get farther than I did, and it is good. Let me know and I'll try reading it again.

lisa

• awildflower
    awildflower

Hi Lisa, I almost threw the book across the room at that point to, and in several other places, but I promise you it's not what you think. You have to read the book in it's entirety to understand why it's like that. Now granted the book obviously is for people who believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, BUT it also straightens out how Christians have it all wrong the way they go about this. Hard to explain, but if your a reader anyways, and enjoy just different books with different takes, I say it's a must read. If your a picky reader then don't bother. Just MHO.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

Personally, I really like fiction. I loved the DaVinci Code! Hate the stupid and humanistic pseudo-theology, but enjoyed the fiction! The Shack is fiction, not a revelation of God. If you like fantasy-fiction fine, but know that the book is not teaching anything real about God, and may even introduce untruths. It is fiction and should not be taken as religion or informative about the true God.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Agreed, that's why I'm suprised to hear certain churches using it in study groups?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Upon your suggestion, I will give it another go. I haven't read a fiction book in years. Might be interesting.

lisa

• cab1000
    cab1000

I've read it. I liked it. I liked it enough to start a thread a while back on it.

I read it to find out other peoples answers to "why do bad things happen to good people?"

The answer? Spoiler:

(( Its because we are all Gods children; and what Father could kill his son to save his other son? ))

-- Authors answer; not mine --

• awildflower
    awildflower

Ok, just finished the book. It is written of course in "Christian language" so if you can't tolerate that then you wont get through the book. However if you can get past that, there are great lessons to be learned and lots of enlightened information in it. I was a little disappointed that the writers true motive here still came out as being "Jesus is the path,the only path", BUT all in all, a very good read, interesting, gave me some stuff to think about.

I can see how if your a Christian stuggling with how things are going in your religion or faith, how this book could be very helpful to you and refreshing and answer a lot of questions. If you are someone who reads this and is drawn to religion or Christianity, then I think you miss the point. Is that confusing enough? You just have to read it I guess.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    but know that the book is not teaching anything real about God, and may even introduce untruths.

L O L

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit