How to do communion?

by matrixx 11 Replies latest jw friends

• matrixx
    matrixx

I was talking to a friend about the importance of doing communion. That it is not simply the passing of the bread and the wine as an observer but the partaking of the emblems. She asked, " How often do you do communion?" I replied " I try to daily." her question was "How is it possible to do communion at home?" If you do not have an Elder, Father, Pastor or some type of religious leader who will bless the drink and the bread?

It is simple, just about all of us have prayed before. It may be to give thanks for a meal. Or could be at a very distressful time in our lives when we do not know where else to turn. In times of emergency we may pray regardless of where we are. We do not always go to a church or a religious leader to intercede on our behalf to God. It is the same with communion. We can say a prayer to God , giving thanks to Him and asking Him to bless the drink and the bread. That the bread may represent Christ's body and the drink his blood.

Of course this is very basic. Whether you refer to Him as God, Father or Jehovah does not matter at this point. The important thing is just to start partaking. In time he will reveal to you more information. And as you become filled with spirit your spirit will bear witness with others when truth is spoken.

As a fellow servant of Christ

May peace be with all of you

Matrixx

• donuthole
    donuthole

It is a common view from those in religion that you need a special "Holy Man" to preside over such things as baptisms and communion. In the Catholic Church this was the "priest". The reformation continued this tradition ignoring that all believers are a priesthood according to Scripture. If you want to learn more about unscriptural traditions and how they developed I would recommend George Barna and Frank Viola's book, "Pagan Christianity"

• Chalam
    Chalam

Good post Matrixx :)

How to do communion?

Just follow the Lord's directions :)

Luke 22:19-20 (New International Version)

19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

I agree with donuthole, no special "holy men" are required, we can all do the job.

2 Corinthians 3:6 (New International Version)

6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Blessings,

Stephen

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It is a common view from those in religion that you need a special "Holy Man" to preside over such things as baptisms and communion. In the Catholic Church this was the "priest".

I once thought the same way. I respect the beliefs of all on this thread, but since I am a Catholic Christian, I will explain according to my own beliefs, and I hope to be respected by the other believers here also.

Now, I will try to correct and explain with regards to the above quote.

The normal course of events is that a priest performs baptism, However, according to necessity, anyone can administer baptism. ANYONE.

Even a non-believer can baptize if absolutely necessary! If he baptizes another who requests it with the correct intention (to do what Christians do when they baptize), with the correct formula (in the name of the Father/Son/Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19), and with the correct medium (water), then it is a valid baptism. Without going on a tangent too much, JWs do not perform Christian baptisms. They use the correct medium, but the formula and intention are not there. It is not a valid baptism.

All apostolic churches teach that the Eucharist is a sacrament. It can only be administered by someone consecrated by holy orders, conveyed by the laying on of hands. All believers receive baptism. But not all believers receive this consecration.

In the Bible, we have the example of Timothy, who was consecrated in this fashion:

Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.(1 Timothy 4:14)

This directly contradicts the sentiment in the statement in the quoted post above. There is a special ordination that not all Christians receive. Those ordained are not in and of themselves holier than the rest of us, but the gift they receive is holy just as the gift of baptism is also holy.

When Timothy received this gift, he became consecrated, he became an episkopos.

Those who receive what Timothy received, received what we call in English the Sacrament of Holy Orders. Only someone that has received consecration according to apostolic succession can pass this consecration on. This is because only someone that has received the authority by those coming before him can grant the authority to others. If the line is broken, the line of apostolic authority is broken also, and all subsequent ordinations are not valid. A gift never received cannot be passed on.

The line must be unbroken going all the way back to the Apostles. This is apostolic succession. Only the various Catholic and Orthodox churches are apostolic.

Only one consecrated in this way can administer a true communion, which is the Body and Blood of Christ. The celebration of Communion is the one most important duty of someone that has received the gift of ordination that Timothy received.

We Catholics believe that Christ is really truly and and substantially present in the loaf and the cup. We believe that the Eucharist truly becomes the Body of Christ, and only one properly consecrated can do this on Christ's behalf.

In 106, Ignatius of Antioch, who recieved his consecration from the Apostle John, wrote in the Epistle to the Smyrneans about those who "abstain from the Eucharist and the public prayer, because they will not admit that the Eucharist is the self-same Body of our Savior Jesus Christ, which [flesh] suffered for our sins, and which the Father in His goodness raised up again"

For anyone else who does it for themselves, at home for example, they are just eating bread and drinking wine after blessing it, and are not truly receiving the holy eucharist. It may have spiritual significance for them personally, but Christ is not truly present in that special manner. Only someone that has received the authority, like Timothy above, can do this and it be truly Christ's Body and Blood. Others may distribute the blessed substances, which are the communion, in order to help the priest, or may take it to the homes of those unable to attend the Communion. We call these Eucharistic Ministers. They serve the Eucharist, but they themselves do not bless it.

This is done every day, we who are Catholics call it Mass, the Orthodox call it the Divine Liturgy. It is the same thing.

To receive the Lord is the single most important event in a Christian's regular schedule. It is not a yearly thing, like the Witnesses teach.

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you”. ( John 6:53:)

"This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" (John 6:60)

BTS

• BurnTheShips
  • tec
    tec

Does anyone think that when Jesus said at the passover, 'keep doing this in memory of me', that he might not have been referring to the ritual? That, instead, we should continue to partake in the knowledge and love of him, preferably coming together to do so? So that his flesh -the bread- was the word that he gave us to believe in, in order to have life. And that his blood -the wine- is the new covenant (the new law of love of God and neighbor-which is not actually a new law, but one that every other law hangs upon) that we should heed in order to have life?

I'm not certain I'm making myself clear, and I'm not knocking the ritual of communion, eucharist, etc... but I always wondered how those words that Jesus spoke had come to mean a yearly ritual, in which the bread and wine actually become flesh and blood of Christ.

T

• undercover
    undercover

A funny story about communion....

I pissed off a Catholic friend with my flip attitude about communion. She was telling us that the local diocese had declared no more hand shaking at services due to the H1N1 flu scare. As everyone was pondering the seriousness of how even the Catholic Church was taking precautions, I wondered aloud, "What about communion? He's puttin food in your mouth..."

But before anyone could answer, I came up with my own conclusion, "Oh, I'm sure it's alright...Surely the body of Christ wouldn't be contaminated with pig flu...."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think ritual is important to some people to help build their spiritual relationship with their God.

I don't think God or Jesus really cares though.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    That, instead, we should continue to partake in the knowledge and love of him, preferably coming together to do so? So that his flesh -the bread- was the word that he gave us to believe in, in order to have life. And that his blood -the wine- is the new covenant (the new law of love of God and neighbor-which is not actually a new law, but one that every other law hangs upon) that we should heed in order to have life?

That's a great metaphor, but it is pretty clear that the ritual was also physical from the very start. We've got mention of it in Paul's letters for example, as well as in many of the earliest Christian writings.

but I always wondered how those words that Jesus spoke had come to mean a yearly ritual, in which the bread and wine actually become flesh and blood of Christ.

We've got mention in the epistles of believers coming together on the first day of each week to share the Eucharist.

He's puttin food in your mouth..."

Communion can be taken in the hand. That's how I do it.

BTS

• tec
    tec

Thanks BTS. I hope everyone realizes that I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing; just wondering where the ritual originated, and if it was a 'law of God' or merely a 'tradition of man'. Although, if the tradition of man is not in contradiction with the law of God, then I can't see any harm, and in fact the physical aid for a spiritual matter would strengthen many. I just know that many people think that unless you have communion, then you have no hope in salvation; no relationship with Christ... that I think would be a tradition of man that is not in agreement with law of love of God.

'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never go thirsty... For my father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:35-40

T

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit