Going to skip this years Memorial for the first time.

by Beta Male 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

I'm already being stalked by the elders, thanks to my wife. They had a "shepherding call" for three hours while waiting for me to come back to my house. If they're that determined, I'm somewhat concerned about their reaction to what I'm going to do. Shoudl I just bite the bullet and go, risking being cornered at the Hall, or just blow the whole thing off?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

If it will keep the peace in your house, go and leave immediately afterward. If it doesn't make a difference to your wife, then its totally up to you.

Last year was my first year EVER not attending the Memorial. Plan to do a repeat performance this year.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Our last one was 7 years ago. The next year, we went to a park instead and sat on the grass and read the whole passover/last supper episode from a good modern English translation of the Bible.

Now we just wait until Easter and go take communion at the Episcopal Church (very tolerant and non-judgmental folks there). The music's a lot better and no one's confused about WTF's going on.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Right on. It'll be my first time doing the same.

• looloo
    looloo

go to church instead , they let you take the bread and wine !

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Listen to shopaholic.....

• lesabre
    lesabre

i went to my last one 5 years ago right after i married my worldly babtist "raised" husband. he thought it was crazy. lol. 2 years ago i went to my mother-in-law's babtist church for easter. i hated it. this year i plan on doing our own.

• lesabre
    lesabre

p.s. i don't think they'll corner you at memorial. too many outsiders there. they like to pester family into making you talk to them. the elders at my hall bugged my mom and she said "she's a grown, married woman now. you need to go ask her, not me!!" every time they called OUR house when i was home. lol. my family was never into playing along.

• cattails
    cattails
    Shoudl I just bite the bullet and go, risking being cornered at the Hall, or just blow the whole thing off?

If the situation is as you say, then what do you have to lose?

If you are a Christian believer then go, partake and let that be your sign to them

that they don't own you. Your owner is the one who bought your salvation through

his blood. Go and make a rememberance of this fact for all to see.

When the elders do catch up to you tell them that you did what the Scriptures say

for you to do and that you aren't going to any secret behind doors meeting because

that's not what Jesus said "do this in memory of me". Answer no more questions,

disappear for a while let the waters calm down, the hounders will find another

entertaining haunt and next year go back and do it again, brother.

If you're not a believer in Christ, just blow them off, scrape the dust off your

sandals, and tell them you've got other issues to deal with and if you need

their help you'll call them.

Seize the day! Partake!

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

I don't know your full situation, but I'd say, just lie to them. Lie through your teeth. Yes you believe it's the truth (really you don't). Yes you believe in the faithful slave (really you don't). Yes you recognize the importance of christian fellowship (really you can hardly bear the meetings). You're really going to make an effort to start attending meetings (a stalling tactic that can go on as long as you'd like). You'd like to work with one of them in field service sometime (make an appontment for a specific day, then cancel last second). A home bible study? Sure! Come to my house on Tuesday (more last minute cancellations).

The elders are only human, and they'll get tired of chasing you. Some of them probably resent the degree to which they're expected to probe into people's private lives, and chase after them to go door-to-door selling corny, irrelevant, and often just plain weird literature offerings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit